Jan 21, 2011, 6:21 PM EST
According to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times, the White Sox just held a news conference to announce that they have picked up the 2012 option for manager Ozzie Guillen.
There was some speculation last September that Guillen was on his way out after he said he wanted to know where he stood with the organization. The White Sox decided to keep him on board for the final year of his contract, although chairman Jerry Reinsdorf later acknowledged that the club was willing to trade him to the Marlins if they were willing to part with one player in particular. We later learned that player was likely Logan Morrison, someone the Marlins had no interest in giving up.
Some have speculated that the Marlins would resume courting Guillen after the 2011 season in order to have him usher in the club’s new stadium for 2012, but barring a disaster season, we can probably call off that talk.
Guillen has a 600-535 record (.529) over seven seasons as manager of the White Sox, including a World Series title in 2005.
- Report: Athletics close to a trade involving Jeff Samardzija 0
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)