Jan 22, 2011, 9:23 AM EDT
UPDATE: Orioles president Andy MacPhail tells Steve Melewski of MASNSports.com that Bowden’s report “is not accurate.” He’s not the first one to say that.
8:32 AM: According to Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio, Vladimir Guerrero is close to signing a one-year contract with the Orioles. Bowden calls it a “humbling deal” and “one of the best free agent bargains,” so we’re going to assume he’s not getting two-year deal he wanted this offseason.
Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reported on Thursday that the Orioles had the “inside track” on Guerrero, though the team’s interest was downplayed by Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com.
Guerrero, who turns 36 next month, batted .300/.345/.496 with 29 home runs and 115 RBI for the Rangers last season, although he did stumble to a .748 OPS after the All-Star break and struggled miserably during the World Series.
The potential addition of Guerrero would complicate things in Baltimore, as Luke Scott would have to find some bats either in left field at the expense of Felix Pie and Nolan Reimold or at first base for the newly-signed Derrek Lee. For what it’s worth, Scott had a .902 OPS last season, so I’m not so sure he deserves to be the odd man out here.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 0
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 61
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 29
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (155)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)