Jan 22, 2011, 3:45 PM EST
Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski told Jason Beck of MLB.com earlier today that trade talks involving Armando Galarraga are progressing, adding that a deal “is likely.”
Galarraga was designated for assignment by the club earlier this week, just one day after the two sides avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $2.3 million contract. The 29-year-old right-hander became expendable once the team finalized a contract with Brad Penny.
Galarraga went 4-9 with a 4.49 ERA across 24 starts and one relief appearance with the Tigers last season. Sure, he was robbed of a perfect game, but don’t let that overshadow the fact that he just isn’t a very good starting pitcher. Galarraga had an underwhelming 74/51 K/BB ratio over 144 1/3 innings in 2010 and also gave up 21 home runs. For a guy that doesn’t miss many bats, his 48.9 percent fly ball rate from last season is troubling.
The Tigers will probably be able to find him a home somewhere, but he shouldn’t be counted on as anything besides a fifth starter.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 129
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 244
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (250)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)