Tigers “likely” to trade Armando Galarraga

Jan 22, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT

Armando Galarraga throwing

Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski told Jason Beck of MLB.com earlier today that trade talks involving Armando Galarraga are progressing, adding that a deal “is likely.”

Galarraga was designated for assignment by the club earlier this week, just one day after the two sides avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $2.3 million contract. The 29-year-old right-hander became expendable once the team finalized a contract with Brad Penny.

Galarraga went 4-9 with a 4.49 ERA across 24 starts and one relief appearance with the Tigers last season. Sure, he was robbed of a perfect game, but don’t let that overshadow the fact that he just isn’t a very good starting pitcher. Galarraga had an underwhelming 74/51 K/BB ratio over 144 1/3 innings in 2010 and also gave up 21 home runs. For a guy that doesn’t miss many bats, his 48.9 percent fly ball rate from last season is troubling.

The Tigers will probably be able to find him a home somewhere, but he shouldn’t be counted on as anything besides a fifth starter.

1. uyf1950 - Jan 22, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Well my guess is unless something better or should I say someone else pops outs at Cashman the Yankees may be looking at either Galarraga or Duchscherer as a #5 until the trade line.
    If Andy doesn’t come back: CC, Hughes, AJ, Nova and which ever one of these guy’s strikes Cashman’s fancy. My preference would be for Duchscherer, but I know several Yankee fans would prefer Galarraga.
    If Andy comes back the starting rotation would look like: CC, Hughes, Pettitte, AJ and one of the three Nova or (Galarraga / Duchscherer) if the Yankees sign one of them) being used as a #5.
    In any case the #5 slot is only a temporary one here. I have no doubt that come the trade deadline Cashman and the Yankees will make a trade for a “quality” starting pitcher from another team. That’s why my preference would be for Duchscherer, because he wouldn’t cost the Yankees anything and as a #5 he probably would only be used in 12 to 15 starts prior to the deadline. Enough to stretch him out because of his prior injury history. Then he can be used out of the pen if they didn’t release or trade him. Just thinking out loud.

• jh0088 - Jan 22, 2011 at 4:55 PM

as a yankee fan i don’t disagree with any of that.

Except for the idea that they will be able to make any kind of move at the trading deadline for another arm that would/could make any difference.

Just think about their inability to land Lee last year, their reluctance to include Romero in any significant package and the seemingly entrenched idea that teams don’t want to help the Yankees out much anymore and I wonder if they have the ability to make any kind of meaningful trade for a top flight starter this season at all.

Sure, they may get an unproven, or past his prime guy like Gallaraga or even Millwood, but no one thinks they are difference makers. And that is really my point. There won’t be any major in season trades for the Yanks this year, because they don’t have the package it will take for another team’s ace. And any back of the rotation guy they can land isn’t going to cause them to leap from over the Sox if they are five back in August.

So for 2011 the whole thing comes down to CC, Hughes, AJ, Nova and Player X. And if Player X is Andy Pettite I think this team will win between 85-95 games and is nearly a lock to at least be the AL Wild Card.

• uyf1950 - Jan 22, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I guess we are going to disagree on several points.
        First – I figure the Yankees win at least 90 games whether or not Andy comes back. I say that because I see the glass as more then half full. I also see the huge improvement the Yankees made in the bullpen where if you watched many of last seasons games that was a very shaky part of there game. That’s not at all the case this coming season.
        Second – As for teams not wanting to or willing to trade a “quality” pitcher come the trade deadline. I don’t believe that for one second. Teams are always looking to unload salary at that time of the year.
        Third – As for the Yankees being unwilling to include Romero in any future discussions I think assuming Martin plays well the Yankees will include one of the catching prospects in a trade discussion especially for the right pitcher. After all they will have for the 2011 season Martin, Posada (in a limited roll) Cerville and Montero (probably coming up late this season or for sure next season. Romero is expendable in that case.
        Lastly a general observation, there is no evidence that the Yankees even attempted to work a trade with any other team after they lost out on Lee. Most if not all of what people read hear was rumor.

• pisano - Jan 22, 2011 at 8:54 PM

uyf1950 … I like it, I don’t see Galarraga down the road in pinstripes. He had the one great game and the rest has been middle of the road performances. Like you said the cost for Duchscherer would be much less.It just makes more sense and there should be more pickings at the trade deadline.

• uyf1950 - Jan 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

pisano, my friend. Just to follow up on your comment about the pickings come the trade deadline.
        The following group of starting pitchers are free agents come the 2012 and depending how their respective teams are doing come the 2011 trade deadline may be available.
        Buehrle – FA come 2012 season
        Pineiro – FA come 2012 season
        CJ Wilson – FA come 2012 season
        Carpenter – Although not a free agent he may be made available to save payroll, if the Cardinals sign Pujols.
        Carmona – Although under contract for the next few years his contract continues to rise and the Indians may want to unload him with the right offer and cost certainty.
        Oswalt – I don’t think he will be available in 2011, but may be available come 2012. He has a mutual option for $15M for 2012 with Philadelphia. In all likelihood one of the other will not exercise the option for 2012. My guess is Oswalt will want a raise and extension to stay with Philadelphia. By then Philadelphia will be faced with extending Hamels and possible payroll issues.
        My bet he’s available to some team for the 2012 season.
        Lastly, the Cubs have several pitchers anyone of them might be made available either at the trade deadline or for the 2012 season:
        Dempster – Has a player option for 2012 that has vested for $14M he may or may not exercise that option.
        Silva – Has a mutual option for $12M which one or the either party may not exercise.
        Then there is Zambrano, while still under contract with the Cubs who knows what his future is there.
        There will be others, this is just a sampling of what may or could be available by the trade deadline or for the 2012 season.
        Keep the faith my friend.

2. heiniemanush - Jan 22, 2011 at 5:42 PM

As a Tiger fan I hope Galarraga catches on with another AL team in the running for the Wild Card. I don’t mean to diss the gentlemanly Armando too much, but if you watch him pitch on a regular basis you know he puts the lack into lackluster. If the Steinbrenners don’t pressure Cashman into trading a blue chip prospect to Detroit for Galarraga then maybe Dombrowski can talk the suddenly generous Tony Reagins into coughing up Mike Trout. In all likelihood I think the Tigers are going to get a bag of balls and some pine tar for him.

• uyf1950 - Jan 22, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I don’t think there is any chance the Steinbrenners get involved in this. This is not a big enough deal for them. Plus I think the Steinbrenners made their point with Cashman. Like I said I prefer Duchscherer but if the Yankees do, do a deal with the Tigers it won’t be for any significant player. Possibly an untested class “a” prospect at most.

3. Panda Claus - Jan 23, 2011 at 8:00 AM

It sounds like some of you are expecting a major piece or pieces to change hands in order to land this guy. Maybe I’m misinterpreting, but I don’t think a guy that’s been DFA’d is going to get all that much back in trade.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3756)