Jan 23, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
The Rockies are known more for late-season charges than they are fast beginnings. In fact, they’ve had a losing record in April in each of the last four seasons. But that could all change this year.
As Jack Etkin at Inside The Rockies notes, the club plays only three games in April against a team that had a record better than .500 last season.
The Rox kick off their 2011 schedule with a series against the Diamondbacks (65-97), then come the Dodgers (80-82), Pirates (57-105), Mets (79-83), Cubs (75-87), Giants (92-70), Marlins (80-82), Cubs and Pirates. Only the World Series champion Giants finished in the black in 2010.
Baseball is a weird sport — hard to predict, at least — and anything can happen, but all signs point to the young and talented Rockies getting off to a healthy start this season. It would be a refreshing sight for Colorado fans, who have watched the team go 189-221 in April since first forming 18 years ago.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 0
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 289
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (289)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)