Jan 24, 2011, 11:30 AM EST
For those of you doing the math, Bryce Harper’s college jersey will be retired before Sparky Anderson’s Tigers jersey will be:
The College of Southern Nevada will retire the No.34 jersey worn by Bryce Harper on Friday. Harper, 18, played in 66 games with the school after skipping his senior year of high school to accelerate his eligibility to be drafted.
Every fiber of my being wants to snark about this, but really, it’s not like there’s going to be a bigger star come through the College of Southern Nevada any time soon, so good for them. The only criticism I can even potentially lob at this move is that they should wait a couple of years until Harper is a big, big star and then tie it into a huge extravaganza involving the returning big leaguer and all of that.
In other news, I’m reading a biography of my favorite painter, Edward Hopper, right now. After years of getting slightly depressed that more and more people who are way younger than I am have achieved fame, riches and notoriety, I am somewhat pleased to read that, at my age, Hopper was still a year away from anything approaching real recognition.
Not that I’m petty and insecure or anything.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)