Jan 24, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
For those of you doing the math, Bryce Harper’s college jersey will be retired before Sparky Anderson’s Tigers jersey will be:
The College of Southern Nevada will retire the No.34 jersey worn by Bryce Harper on Friday. Harper, 18, played in 66 games with the school after skipping his senior year of high school to accelerate his eligibility to be drafted.
Every fiber of my being wants to snark about this, but really, it’s not like there’s going to be a bigger star come through the College of Southern Nevada any time soon, so good for them. The only criticism I can even potentially lob at this move is that they should wait a couple of years until Harper is a big, big star and then tie it into a huge extravaganza involving the returning big leaguer and all of that.
In other news, I’m reading a biography of my favorite painter, Edward Hopper, right now. After years of getting slightly depressed that more and more people who are way younger than I am have achieved fame, riches and notoriety, I am somewhat pleased to read that, at my age, Hopper was still a year away from anything approaching real recognition.
Not that I’m petty and insecure or anything.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 53
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 60
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)