Jan 24, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
For those of you doing the math, Bryce Harper’s college jersey will be retired before Sparky Anderson’s Tigers jersey will be:
The College of Southern Nevada will retire the No.34 jersey worn by Bryce Harper on Friday. Harper, 18, played in 66 games with the school after skipping his senior year of high school to accelerate his eligibility to be drafted.
Every fiber of my being wants to snark about this, but really, it’s not like there’s going to be a bigger star come through the College of Southern Nevada any time soon, so good for them. The only criticism I can even potentially lob at this move is that they should wait a couple of years until Harper is a big, big star and then tie it into a huge extravaganza involving the returning big leaguer and all of that.
In other news, I’m reading a biography of my favorite painter, Edward Hopper, right now. After years of getting slightly depressed that more and more people who are way younger than I am have achieved fame, riches and notoriety, I am somewhat pleased to read that, at my age, Hopper was still a year away from anything approaching real recognition.
Not that I’m petty and insecure or anything.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)