Bryce Harper to have his jersey retired

Jan 24, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT

Bryce Harper college

For those of you doing the math, Bryce Harper’s college jersey will be retired before Sparky Anderson’s Tigers jersey will be:

The College of Southern Nevada will retire the No.34 jersey worn by Bryce Harper on Friday. Harper, 18, played in 66 games with the school after skipping his senior year of high school to accelerate his eligibility to be drafted.

Every fiber of my being wants to snark about this, but really, it’s not like there’s going to be a bigger star come through the College of Southern Nevada any time soon, so good for them.  The only criticism I can even potentially lob at this move is that they should wait a couple of years until Harper is a big, big star and then tie it into a huge extravaganza involving the returning big leaguer and all of that.

In other news, I’m reading a biography of my favorite painter, Edward Hopper, right now.  After years of getting slightly depressed that more and more people who are way younger than I am have achieved fame, riches and notoriety, I am somewhat pleased to read that, at my age, Hopper was still a year away from anything approaching real recognition.

Not that I’m petty and insecure or anything.

1. marshmallowsnake - Jan 24, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Fast forward a few years, and Harper is living up to his bill…he is 20-21, in the majors, and hitting 30-40 HR a year…given all the hype, if he molds into what they think he will…and with his young age, is he the next one to be predicted to hit milestone HR numbers? I mean, if he gets to the bigs at 21, and hits 30 HR every year (plus more – depending on the year), he could have 400 homers by the time he is 30…and that would be a good pace to be on…so, is he NEXT?

2. Jonny 5 - Jan 24, 2011 at 12:05 PM

You’ve slapped one of my peeves Craig. It’s not your fault as people always do it. You’ve called a very skilled Artist a “painter”. “Painters” paint things. They paint houses, cars, fences, living rooms, and whatnot. Artists create things of beauty. Hopper was one of the best at that, and to call him a “painter” doesn’t do him justice a bit. “Nighthawks” is one of my favorite pieces by Hopper, for obvious reasons……. And it probably should be the crisp lines adding to the realistic look of it all which he didn’t always use either. But it”s something else that strikes me here. ;)

The Philadelphia art museum has a nice collection of his work. Now that my son has finally watched the Rocky movies, I might just have a person to pal around with there. That place is amazing imo.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 24, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I meant “a nice collection of his etchings.”

• drunkenhooliganism - Jan 24, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Are you saying that calling Hopper a painter is like calling Craig a typer.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 24, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Yeah, kinda like that… Or like calling Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughn a string plucker.

3. Old Gator - Jan 24, 2011 at 3:01 PM

I think the Trailer Park Network pundits ought to add Bryce Harper’s jersey to their growing list of things that don’t want to work.

4. mvd513 - Jan 25, 2011 at 5:55 AM

WWBHD?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3486)