Jan 24, 2011, 8:17 AM EDT
With Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon signing on Friday, the last of the really big names fell off the free agent board. Really, it’s all slim pickings now. If your team is still shopping, below is a list of what’s left on the shelf of any consequence.
The official free agent list is much longer. For our purposes I’m not including the relievers, because most of them are pretty fungible. I also didn’t include guys who didn’t play in 2010, players who are more likely to retire than play in 2011 and the truly, truly wretched. If you think I left off an intriguing player who could be really useful to someone please let me know, but these are the guys who actually seem like genuine working ballplayers.
I think it’s safe to say that there’s no one here who is going to alter the balance of power in a division race. Justin Duchscherer could turn in a great season if everything breaks right with his health. A couple of the DH types could be really useful (How Russell Branyan doesn’t have a job as a DH/backup 1B is beyond me).
At this point of the winter, I think it’s safe to say that your team is not likely to get substantially better barring a trade.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona