Jan 24, 2011, 8:17 AM EST
With Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon signing on Friday, the last of the really big names fell off the free agent board. Really, it’s all slim pickings now. If your team is still shopping, below is a list of what’s left on the shelf of any consequence.
The official free agent list is much longer. For our purposes I’m not including the relievers, because most of them are pretty fungible. I also didn’t include guys who didn’t play in 2010, players who are more likely to retire than play in 2011 and the truly, truly wretched. If you think I left off an intriguing player who could be really useful to someone please let me know, but these are the guys who actually seem like genuine working ballplayers.
I think it’s safe to say that there’s no one here who is going to alter the balance of power in a division race. Justin Duchscherer could turn in a great season if everything breaks right with his health. A couple of the DH types could be really useful (How Russell Branyan doesn’t have a job as a DH/backup 1B is beyond me).
At this point of the winter, I think it’s safe to say that your team is not likely to get substantially better barring a trade.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (314)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)