Free Agents: Who’s left?

Jan 24, 2011, 8:17 AM EDT

Seattle Mariners v Oakland Athletics Getty Images

With Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon signing on Friday, the last of the really big names fell off the free agent board.  Really, it’s all slim pickings now. If your team is still shopping, below is a list of what’s left on the shelf of any consequence.

The official free agent list is much longer. For our purposes I’m not including the relievers, because most of them are pretty fungible. I also didn’t include guys who didn’t play in 2010, players who are more likely to retire than play in 2011 and the truly, truly wretched. If you think I left off an intriguing player who could be really useful to someone please let me know, but these are the guys who actually seem like genuine working ballplayers.

Starters

Ryan Church
Vlad Guerrero
Jose Guillen
Lastings Milledge
Scott Podsednik
Randy Winn

I think it’s safe to say that there’s no one here who is going to alter the balance of power in a division race. Justin Duchscherer could turn in a great season if everything breaks right with his health. A couple of the DH types could be really useful (How Russell Branyan doesn’t have a job as a DH/backup 1B is beyond me).

At this point of the winter, I think it’s safe to say that your team is not likely to get substantially better barring a trade.

1. Jonny 5 - Jan 24, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I don’t know, maybe he’s right? At first glance I said PFFFFFFTTT, yeah right. Bonehead article. Then I read it. And in ways, it makes a lot sense.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jan 24, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Jonny, you’re linking to a Bleacher Report article. Take a minute, examine your life and all that you stand for, and come back to us.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 24, 2011 at 8:37 AM

LMAO!! I know, I know. I was thinking just like you when I clicked the link, linked to me by someone else.. Then I read it. It wasn’t too bad. And it actually had points I couldn’t argue a bit.

2. paperlions - Jan 24, 2011 at 8:29 AM

How come there is no “What they’re saying about the Nick Punto signing” thread?

3. BC - Jan 24, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Duchscherer, Cantu and Vlad The Impaler look like the only things worth anything out there. Maybe Branyan if some team needs a part-time power bat. I’d sign Duchscherer in a second.

4. Innocent Bystander - Jan 24, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Andy Pettitte?

• BC - Jan 24, 2011 at 10:01 AM

He’s not a “real” free agent. He’s a Yankee, or he’s sipping Coors on his patio this year.

• bloodysock - Jan 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Is he a ‘real’ Yankee?

• BC - Jan 24, 2011 at 10:57 AM

More importantly, is he in the best shape of his life?

5. yankeesfanlen - Jan 24, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Did Nick Johnson play in 2010?

• BC - Jan 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I think he literally played like 8 games and then pulled a Mike Hampton.

• bloodysock - Jan 24, 2011 at 11:37 AM

You guys are too hard on the guy. He played in 24 games last season.

6. spudchukar - Jan 24, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Maybe it is due to money, but doesn’t Orlando Cabrera make sense to somebody?

7. Dianne - Jan 25, 2011 at 2:22 PM

What about Jim Edmonds? Is his achilles any better? He could def be a DH or backup somewhere!

8. areyesrn - Jan 26, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Nick Johnson looks like the guy who delivers bread rolls to grocery stores every morning…

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4993)