Jan 24, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
When the Rangers signed Adrian Beltre to a five-year, $80 million contract last month general manager Jon Daniels said the team was “out” of the mix to potentially re-sign Vladimir Guerrero, but Rangers president Nolan Ryan has re-opened that door a bit.
Guerrero is still available with less than a month to go until the start of spring training despite various other veteran bats coming off the market recently and an inaccurate report claiming he was signing with the Orioles over the weekend.
Asked at the team’s annual “Fan Fest” event if the Rangers might reconsider their stance on Guerrero, here’s what Ryan said:
They were looking for a two-year contract and we had agreed with him and his agent that it was a mutual option this year, so we agreed to let them go out on the market and see what the market bared. And he hadn’t been able, to this point, to get a two-year contract. Is there still a possibility that he could end up signing with us? Yeah, there is. But I’m not for sure what other interest is out there as far as he is concerned.
I think that will play out in the next 20 days before spring training. You’d love to have that bat, another right-handed bat on the bench, or him DHing when Michael Young is playing a position. That will obviously come into play in the decision of where he’s going to go. How many at-bats he thinks he’s going to get somewhere.
In other words, if Guerrero wants to accept a one-year contract and a part-time role after searching for a two-year deal and everyday playing time all offseason the Rangers would think about bringing him back. If not they’ll stick with Michael Young as the primary designated hitter and, as Matthew Pouliot wrote over the weekend, perhaps look to add a cheaper right-handed bat to take playing time from Mitch Moreland against tough lefties.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)