Jan 24, 2011, 11:17 AM EST
After sitting out most of 2009 following elbow surgery Jake McGee returned to the mound last season as a starter with great success and then shifted to the bullpen in the second half before debuting with the Rays in September as a reliever.
However, now that McGee is two years removed from going under the knife pitching coach Jim Hickey told Joe Smith of the St. Petersburg Times that the Rays “still like McGee as a possible starting pitcher” because “you can’t have too much starting pitching and with that big body he’s got I just see a guy who’s capable of eating a lot of innings for a lot of years.”
Even after trading Matt Garza to the Cubs the Rays still have a full rotation, with top prospect Jeremy Hellickson expected to replace Garza alongside holdovers David Price, James Shields, Wade Davis, and Jeff Niemann. And they also still have Andy Sonnanstine, who started 72 games from 2007-2009 before spending most of 2010 in the bullpen.
Hickey called McGee “a really good candidate” to step into the bullpen following the free agent departures of Rafael Soriano, Joaquin Benoit, Grant Balfour, Dan Wheeler, and Randy Choate. It may be similar to Chris Sale in Chicago, where the White Sox believe he’ll eventually be a top-of-the-rotation starter but may end up keeping him in the bullpen for the short term simply because there’s a bigger immediate need there.
Baseball America ranked McGee as the game’s 37th-best prospect in 2007 and 15th-best prospect in 2008, and in 20 starts and 10 relief appearances between Double-A and Triple-A last season he posted a 3.07 ERA and 127/36 K/BB ratio in 106 innings while allowing just three homers.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)