A HardballTalk reader owns that Cubs shirt

Jan 25, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT

Cubs dress shirt

We weren’t expecting this:  a startling reader confession from the comments section of the Cubs shirt post:

I actually own this shirt but I have never had the cajones to wear it.  My wife and her mother bought it for me on clearance this Summer at Von Maur.  They meant well, but they didn’t understand how utterly ridiculous it is.  It’s not just crazy, it’s Nicolas Cage/Gary Busey crazy.

I can’t fathom where I could possibly wear it.  I can’t wear it to a game because it’s too formal, I can’t wear it in public because it’s too crazy, and I can’t wear it to work because my Braves fan boss would can my a** and have a legitimate claim that I am unfit to work.

In the shirt’s defense, it does look better in person (lighter blue pin stripes are more visible) and it is really high quality.

To which I say: pics or it didn’t happen.

I’ll also say that if there’s a Braves version, and if someone were to purchase it for me, I would wear it all over the place simply to flaunt the fact that I work from home and have already attracted a mate, and therefore have no reason to care about anything anymore.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Sorry, Craig, I’ll only buy these for Phillies fans.

• mss16 - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:20 PM

As a Philly fan, I would definitely buy and wear a phillies version of that shirt to the bar.

• bradlidgesmole - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:25 PM

No doubt, I’d wear that shirt if the Phils had it as well. I’d even buy it myself.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Put your money where your mouth is fellas. And even though I didn’t think possible, it’s much uglier than the Cubs version.

• woodenulykteneau - Jan 25, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Perchance that bar is located at 655 Cowan Ave.?

2. davidw7 - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Hate to admit but I once had a similar version of that but it was the Cleveland Indians one. What makes it worse is I’m a Twins fan. No idea what I was thinking that day I got it.

3. trevorb06 - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Who is down to pool our money and get the Braves shirt for Craig so he can wear it for us on HBT Daily? Ha ha

4. Jeremiah Graves - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:24 PM

As a Twins fan…

…they probably don’t make one for my people.

Twins are consistently a playoff threat, yet it is nearly impossible to find cool (or ridiculous) merchandise for ‘em. Thankfully the fine folks at Banner ’47 have taken to rolling out some cool Twins stuff, but I can never bring myself to pay $50 for a t-shirt.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I know a guy who gets Jerseys that look totally professional, like game day jerseys. They’re 20-21 $ each. But you have to buy 15 at a clip to get that deal, or you pay 40 some$. I have to talk to him to get the website. Go figure a deli owner in Jersey is the contact. He picks up a slew of Phillies, and Eagles jerseys and sells them to his customers at cost. Very nice guy. I know my jerseys and I can’t tell they’re fakes, they have all the right tags on them even. I think they’re from China. I didn’t buy one yet, but he’s getting an order for me soon. Hopefully i don’t get mercury poisoning. I’ll try to remember to get the website name if you want to pay the 40 some bucks. let me know if you want me to get it for you because it’ll take me stopping by before I planned to.

• JB (the original) - Jan 25, 2011 at 2:58 PM

wrongo Keebler:

5. Jeremiah Graves - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Random Side Comment: Does anyone know of some great places to snag team merchandise that’s not the official stuff? There were some Twins bloggers who made the “Thome is My Homey” shirts last year and I know the Phillies have a slew of “homemade” shirts available for purchase.

Does anyone know if there’s an easier way to hunt down some of these “alternative” team threads?

6. spudchukar - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:28 PM

What no button-downs? They are long-sleeved to cover up the scars.

7. BC - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:52 PM

That’s phenomenal. Do they have a Mets version?

8. drkincaid - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:54 PM

No problem, I can back it up with photos just as long as I’m not wearing it – I’m trying to keep my guise of being an intelligent Cubs fan going.

• drkincaid - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:58 PM

P.S. I don’t get home until 10-11 tonight, I’ll send the photos then.

9. pkswally024 - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:59 PM

They’re all hideous. That comment is funny though. Someone send him a braves shirt!

10. JB (the original) - Jan 25, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Here’s the whole lot of ugliness:

11. ngearhart1981 - Jan 25, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I’d LOVE to see one whipped up with the old ’80′s style Astros logo…

12. marshmallowsnake - Jan 25, 2011 at 4:52 PM

But there IS a Braves version….

and since you make more than I do, I am sad to say, that I cannot purchase it for you.

13. marshmallowsnake - Jan 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Worst…one…yet…

14. marshmallowsnake - Jan 25, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I lied….this wins because of the pink…

15. billybeaneismyhero - Jan 25, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Do his wife and mother-in-law hate him? That’s the worst (and most amazing) gift ever.

16. superpriebe - Jan 25, 2011 at 9:19 PM

I’m a high school teacher and I wear a shirt and tie to school every day….although that makes me a bit of an oddball here in Toronto. I would happily wear this with a tie on Opening Day simply to change things up a bit and amuse the students.

What I won’t do is pay $139 for it.

17. drkincaid - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Wearing shirt: http://stashbox.org/1059324/GaryBuseyCubsFan.jpg
    [img]http://stashbox.org/1059324/GaryBuseyCubsFan.jpg[/img]

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. J. Hammel (2497)