Brian Cashman is dropping some moderate-sized bombs this morning

Jan 25, 2011, 10:06 AM EDT

Cashman profile

espnW’s Amanda Rykoff is at WFAN’s Breakfast with a Champion event in New York this morning, and Yankees GM Brian Cashman is talking to the media.  She’s live-tweeting it, and it you can check out her feed now to see what all the columnists will be talking about tomorrow. Among the comments from Cashman that might have some legs:

• WFAN’s Mike Francesca arrived late, turned to Cashman and said “How are you?” Cashman said “I’d be better if I could get a starter.”
  • He thinks that Derek Jeter will be moved off shortstop during his current contract period, probably to the outfield.
  • Cashman said that that the New York media coverage can wear a guy out.  That sound you hear is Bill Madden re-jiggering his “Cashman wants to be a small market GM” column with some extra “I told you so’s.”
  • Cashman was asked, once again, about Joba Chamberlain starting. He said  that Chamberlain hasn’t been the same pitcher since his injury that occurred in Texas back in 2008.  This has been suspected, but I believe it’s the first time that the Yankees have publicly acknowledged that Chamberlain’s injury was a big deal.
  • Cashman said that the Red Sox are the better team today, but that the Yankees have a better bullpen. He said that the Yankees are one starter away from being a World Series contender.
  • He called Mariano Rivera “The best Yankee I’ve ever seen.”  With apologies to Derek Jeter, I’d probably agree with that assessment. I’m not talking about value in some statistical sense — he’s still a closer — but in terms of the awe he inspires, I don’t think any Yankee of the current era comes close to Mo.

Fun stuff. It should give the New York press material until pitchers and catchers report.  Thanks for passing it along, Amanda.

1. BC - Jan 25, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Question. What the heck is ESPNW?

• Craig Calcaterra - Jan 25, 2011 at 10:11 AM

This is:

• BC - Jan 25, 2011 at 10:26 AM

OK. Thank you.
        Pretty soon ESPN will be like HBO – I have 8 of them. Occasionally watch the Spanish one. “Who Framed Roger Rabbit” is phenomenal in Spanish by the way….

• kinggeorge96 - Jan 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM

ESPN8 “The Ocho!”

• Old Gator - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:15 AM

El Ocho, Anglo bufone.

• Adam - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Gator, you have obviously never seen Dodgeball, which is what The Ocho was referring to. The movie made fun of how many channels ESPN has, but it’s about to be proven right.

2. largebill - Jan 25, 2011 at 10:14 AM

No real surprises in that interview. I would assume Jeter has been told that a position change is a possibility.

• Adam - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:23 AM

But then they’re just moving him from a position he’s bad at defensively but his bat is still around league average to a position where he’ll also be bad at defensively but his bat will be much, much worse than league average.

I believe that’s called a lose-lose.

• Kevin S. - Jan 25, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Actually, Jeter’s bat was still plus for his position last year, horrific as it was by his previous standards. It was league-average for, well, the league.

3. uyf1950 - Jan 25, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Yankee fans and non Yankee fans there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Yankees will acquire a “quality” starting pitcher. If not by the time pitchers and catchers report to spring training definitely before the July trade deadline. Take it to the bank. I agree 100% with Cashman about the Yankees being one starting pitcher away from a world series contender. With their offense, bullpen and another “quality” starting pitcher to go along with the current players on their roster they match up against any team in either league…and that’s my opinion.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 25, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Good luck with that starter sucka.

5. Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2011 at 10:37 AM

“I’d be better if I could get a starter.”

Kendrick for Gardner??? Get ‘er done!!!!

Hey, he didn’t say anything about how good they had to be did he?

• uyf1950 - Jan 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM

My friend, Gardner’s not going anywhere. Don’t be surprised if you see one of the the following in Yankee Pinstripes before the trade deadline Pineiro, Carpenter, Dempster, Silva then there is always Zambrano who knows what his future is in Chicago. Pineiro is a FA come 2012 and the other 3 Carpenter, Dempster and Silva all have a player option. The Angels, Cardinals or Cubs may want to trade these guy’s before they lose them for virtually nothing but a draft choice. As for how good they are. For me they all fit my definition of a “quality” starter. Just thinking out loud, but you never know.

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:11 AM

As you note, there are still a lot of possibilities out there, perhaps even before the trade deadline. And the Universe see,s to have their best seasons after a slow start. If they’re above .550 on the 4th of July, we will have it in the bag.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Lol.. I figure as much. That was a joke.

I actually think they should get 2 starters, even if they get AP back. One “quality” as you put it. And one as insurance. Do they have anyone that can eat up some innings as back up to the # 5 spot with Andy (who I consider as 99% coming back) and a new unknown YTBN pitcher? The problem is, they’ll need to trade, and it’s not a buyer friendly market for SP’s right now. Not by a long shot.

• Old Gator - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Zambrano? Brrrrrrrrrrr. His personal renaissance has been fun to watch but I suspect that if you installed him in Yanqui Stadium, he’d melt down like a Ukrainian reactor core.

• uyf1950 - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:40 AM

To Jonny 5 – If it was easy you or I could do it. The point isn’t if it’s easy the point is are or will there be options out there by July. The simple answer is absolutely. As for an inning eater. That kind of pitcher is always available. If either Pettitte comes back and or the Yankees make a trade for another “quailty” starter Mitre becomes the long relief guy to get the game to the 6th and 7th innings where Logan, Chamberlain, Feliciano, Robertson are available then turn it over to Soriano and Mo.
        To Old Gator – I didn’t say Zambrano would be the Yankees 1st choice but a viable option. As for his “personal renaissance” as you call it. Perhaps you underestimate his come back. Regardless, as the saying goes “any port in a storm”.

• jh0088 - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I’m sorry, but none of the pitchers you mention are difference makers. Look at it this way… if the Rays or Red Sox traded for any of the people on this list, as a Yankee fan would you be concerned? I wouldn’t. They’re all very beatable on any given day.

Last year was the banner year for pitchers who could be difference makers by the trade deadline. Oswalt wanted out of the losing culture in Houston and the Mariner experiment didn’t work so they go what they could for Lee.

2010 was an aberration when you think about TWO number one starters being availble at the deadline. It is not going to happen this year.

I agree that the Yanks will wind up with SOMEONE else. But there is no person out there that will be on the trading block that will make any kind of difference to any team.

2011 really breaks down to me as a year where every team enters it with the best team they could possibly field. All of the important moves have already been made and whatever happens next will just be filling in minor needs.

That being said, the Yanks have a phenomonal team in my opinion. I think Hughes will have a great year from start to finish and be a very dependable number two. AJ will do better at the three or four slot and I think Nova is getting there.

The bullpen really is excellent and that lineup is still probably the best that there is in the game (and look at me, I didn’t qualify that with ‘only if Gardner leads off… i must be getting better).

• seattlej - Jan 25, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Wow, what a NY fan considers a quality starter has fallen off a cliff (lee?) if you’re considering Silva in that category. As a Seattle fan, I about spit my cheerios across the room when I read that.

• Kevin S. - Jan 25, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Chris Carpenter is not an impact starter? In what universe? Pineiro and Dempster are solid, mid-rotation guys who can make a difference, too. Maybe it’s only an extra win over the second half of the season, but if the Yankees are good enough to make the postseason, bumping back the likes of Burnett and Nova increases their chances in any given series.

• uyf1950 - Jan 25, 2011 at 3:18 PM

To Kevin S – Thank you.

• jh0088 - Jan 26, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Come om Kevin S… Carpenter is a very good pitcher, but he is NOT getting traded this year.

6. sdelmonte - Jan 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Honesty is the best policy, but not necessarily at this level of candor. While I have no doubt that Cashman will right whatever needs righting, if things go wrong, it will be easy for the Sons of George and Randy Levine to cite such comments when Cashman is not brought back.

But at the same time, only a man confident in his position and his abilities would be so open, wouldn’t he?

7. bloodysock - Jan 25, 2011 at 10:49 AM

“Cashman: “The higher up the tree the monkey climbs, the more you see of his ass.””

I’d like to know what that comment was in reference too.

• steve keane - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I’d like to know what that comment was in reference too.

I believe Cash was talking about his meetings with Hank, Hal Randy Levine and Lon Troost, with Levine the biggest ass in the Highlander hat

8. Old Gator - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Madden ought to reconsider other semantic options – like, that Cashman wants to manage a big market team without big market media. That’s no more or less fanciful than a guy in his position wanting to manage a small market team. Or seen from another angle: (a) he’d like to manage a large market team but not work for assholes to do it, or (b) as idiotic as Madden’s assertions are, even taken together with the gross collected idiocy of his colleagues, that’s not enough for Cashman seriously to consider give up his plush digs for a horse and plow.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Ding ding ding! You’ve won a new washer and dryer!!!!

• Old Gator - Jan 25, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Funniest thing about that is, we had a guy from Sears over here replacing the timer on our drier this morning. At this point we could probably use them.

Or, like Mrs.Carolyn Preskie on Hawaiian Sellout, we’ve won a set of broken cullet bars for Mrs. P’s new home; some level mung skies and water rollers for that fun filled open season; a standup goobyne preheater with a smoked window, and now – three hundred pounds of Chef Antonine’s southern fried gligs, toasted, reheated and returned to water before you’re ready, Mrs. P, and look at that – close the door and the light…stays on!

9. Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I dropped some moderate sized bombs this mornng as well. But nobody tweeted about them either… Although my wonderful wife skuawked a bunch about these bombs I dropped.

• uyf1950 - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Now this one I understand. It kind of reminds me of the old Alka Seltzer commercial “plop plop fizz fizz oh what a ______ __ __” I’m sure you can fill in the blanks…and that’s where I’ll leave this conversation.

10. steve keane - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen Oliver Wendell Cahsman

11. spudchukar - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Yankee fans, Your Cash ain’t nothin’ but Trash, now that the free agent market has dried up, so you deal, meaning you are on a level playing field, something you aren’t accustomed to. So in order to make a trade happen you must pony up someone better than a first-round draft choice. Your top five trade baits include 3 catchers, a 5′ 10” lefty and quality 2B who may also be a SS and who you wouldn’t give up for Cliff Lee. My guess is Nunez is being groomed to replace Jeter, or he would have been made available for Lee, with Cano blocking him. You have catcher issues yourself. Montero is major league ready as a hitter but he cannot catch. Sanchez has it all but is a couple of years away, and Romine can catch but may not be ready, if ever, to handle big league pitching. Banuelos, may be ready soon but what sense does it make trading a budding #3 starter for an aging reject?
    To make things even more complicated the Cubs and Cardinals don’t need catchers. So unless Nunez is made available a trade with them will be difficult. That knocks out Carpenter, Dempster, Zambrano, and Silva. The Angels do need catching, that is apparent, so maybe a deal for Pinero is possible, but when Kazmir is your #5 you might hesitate dumping your #4 if you are still in the race.
    These complications are probably the reason Cashman is so grumpy. If it were as easy as I read, I am pretty sure it would have already been done.

• jh0088 - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:50 PM

this post is exactly right.

I posted above and have been saying for a while that I don’t really see the Yanks making a major trade this year and the talent out there isn’t on the level of the Oswalt or Lee deals we saw last year. The Yanks will get SOMEONE, but it won’t be a difference maker at all.

• BC - Jan 25, 2011 at 1:17 PM

We’ll give them Ollie Perez….

• seattlej - Jan 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I don’t completely agree with this. Montero is a blue chip prospect whether or not he ends up catching. The experts (and I am certainly not one of them) say that the bat will play anywhere.

I think the Yankees will have plenty of options come July if they’re willing to part with Montero.

• spudchukar - Jan 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Nothing like a rookie DH, to brighten your future.

• uyf1950 - Jan 25, 2011 at 2:29 PM

The Yankees have been very reluctant to discuss or package Montero in any possible trade discussions. Could that change? Possibly. But I think it would require 3 things.
        First – Martin would have to prove himself this season both offensively and health wise.
        Second – How Gary Sanchez the other perhaps even better catching prospect progresses this season in the minors.
        Third – and most importantly the pitcher would have to be very, very special. Not just a quality pitcher that I keep referring to but a bona fide #1 or #1A.
        Otherwise he’s not going anywhere this coming season.

12. jh0088 - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Jeter in the outfield???!!!!!!

WTF?

You tell me he doens’t have range at short anymore and you want to put him in what, right field? The last thing I want is to see Jeter in the outfield. It would be a disaster.

• uyf1950 - Jan 25, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I agree with you about Jeter in the outfield. Most teams as their center fielder gets older move him to 1st base. Obviously 1st base isn’t an option for Jeter. And in reality neither is any of the outfield positions. Why would any team replace younger, more athletic player(s) with one approaching 38 years old with reduced range. Doesn’t make any sense. I’ve said it before if Jeter doesn’t play SS there is no place for him to play on a “regular” basis. I honestly see Jeter retiring without exercising the 4th year option of his contract and I also just see him splitting time at SS in the 3rd year of the contract. If he’s the team player other seem to think he is that’s what he should do. I hope he takes a page out of Gil Meche’s book and calls it quits before his skills have degraded to much and he doesn’t become an obvious burden to the Yankees.

13. uyf1950 - Jan 25, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Just so I understand it. All of you that commented on my post about the possible availability of Pineiro, Dempster, Silva or Carpenter and Zambrano believe none of them is a better option than Nova or Mitre who currently are slated to be the #4 and #5 starters for the Yankees. If any of them are better option (which I believe they all are) then they are by definition “difference makers”. Because that’s what we are talking about…and you honestly believe that if one of their teams was to make them available for a trade before their option year or by the trade deadline the Yankees couldn’t work out the pieces to satisfy the selling team. Or may be it’s one of the “other” possible free agents that might hit the market come 2012 that their current team shops like: Mark Buehrle. Or may be it’s a pitcher that a small market team is looking to move to save payroll. The original 4 that I listed was not mean to be all inclusive but only a sample.

• spudchukar - Jan 25, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Yes, the 5 you mentioned are better options, well maybe not Silva, and yep, they would make a difference, but wanting them and getting them is not the same. A first-round draft choice is nothing to disregard, they are being more prized these days, so you have to offer someone greater. I outlined their top 5 and the inherent problems therein. My comment was to stress the difficulties, not impossibilities. July 31st is awful late to be addressing the issue, and many teams won’t be willing to throw in the towel much before then.
      I know this is heresy in New York, but Yankee fans may just have to come to the realization that 2011 isn’t in the cards, compete with what they have and let the chips fall where they may. This seems to be Cashman’s dilemma. Make a bad deal for an aging player, and sacrifice some real future talent in the exchange just to assuage the demanding public.

• uyf1950 - Jan 25, 2011 at 2:51 PM

I don’t disagree with you about playing the hand your dealt. I also don’t disagree with you that there are always issues that have to be addressed. Where we do disagree is that I don’t believe that any of the potential “issues” are insurmountable. I also would disagree with you about the July 31st deadline. Remember as long as the Yankees are close that’s all that matters. A team only has to make it to the dance they don’t have to be the first one to arrive. This isn’t just the Yankee fan in me but I really don’t see any team in the AL that will have a better record then the Yankees to qualify for the wild card spot if that’s what it comes to. I’m sure some fans of other teams will disagree with me but that’s my opinion. So again if the Yankee can hang tough until the trade deadline and have one of the top 4 records in the AL that’s all that matters. Whether they finish 1st in the division or with the best record of the wild card teams that’s all that matters. Then all they have to do is have that “difference maker” on the roster by Sept. 1st (I believe to have them qualify for the playoffs).

• spudchukar - Jan 25, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Perhaps, you are correct about the wild-card. If so, you would do much better the longer you can wait. With the improvement of the Jays and Orioles; wins won’t come as easily within the division, which could elevate the Central’s Big 3 into contenders. I just don’t think you can beat out the Rays, but that is just a difference of opinion, as you stated, and why they play the games.

• uyf1950 - Jan 25, 2011 at 4:31 PM

To spudchukar – while you are probably right about the Orioles I would suspect the Yankees not to fair quite as good in 2011 as they did in 2010 with the 13-5 but on the flip side I would expect the Yankees to have a better record against the Jays then they did in 2010. Considering they had a losing record of 8-10. I actually think the Jays will be a little worse this coming year then 2010. I don’t expect Batista to come close to matching in 2010 numbers and I do think losing wells 2010 offense will hurt the Jays across the board in all the games they play in the AL east.
        As for your comment about the the AL Central. Doesn’t it stand to reason that if the White Sox and Tigers got better since approximately 50% of there games are within the division that there is more of a likelihood that the 3 main teams (Twins, Tigers and White Sox) will all hover at something less than 90 wins as they all beat up on each other. As it’s unlikely the Twins will go 13-5 in 2011 as they did in 2010. It’s also unlikly that the Tigers will play as poorly against the Rays in 2011 as they did in 2010 going 1-6.
        I honestly believe you give the Rays to much credit. They lost an awful lot and didn’t really replace the pieces they lost with any quality players. That is unless you really believe Damon and/or Manny are difference makers. Which I don’t believe. I think they will be lucky to win 85 games but as we both agree that’s just an opinion and why they make you play the games.

• spudchukar - Jan 25, 2011 at 5:22 PM

First the good news, I contend the Pink Hose’s pitching is overrated, and they still do not have a catcher, so I don’t think they will be running away and hiding. I actually see it as a four team race, and the O’s winning 76 games or so. No, I don’t see Batista going deep 52 times, but 40 seems attainable. Both Lind and Hill had seriously down years. Maybe Lind isn’t as good as once believed, but I expect bounce-back years from them. Can Davis’ OBP and defense justify an everyday job in center? Is Arencibia ready. Will Snyder finally step-up? Is Rivera an everyday choice? Will Encarnacion blend in at 1B/DH? Questions for sure, but none of those possibilities seem far-fetched. Plus they have 6 starters, and now a top-notched bullpen. Look for them to make another move with a starter and Rivera.
        As for the Rays, I am biased. Used to live in Tampa, during my minor league days, so I want to admit that straight up. However, I believe both Brignac and Rodriguez are ready to break out with impressive seasons. Shields worries me some, but the rest of the staff are just coming into their own. Bullpen troubles, I foresee, but if they get that solved I think they will surprise, and that is without major contributions from, Jennings, Damon and Ramirez, which could occur.
        I considered your point about the big 3 in the Central knocking themselves, and that is possible. But unlike the East, the Royals and Indians still suck, which should bolster their records.
        One last question, was your last phrase, just a turn of phrase? You didn’t really mean “MAKE YOU” did you?

• uyf1950 - Jan 25, 2011 at 7:05 PM

To spudchukar – I’m not sure how your reading my comment. But in any case I meant it to mean that’s why they make them play the games (referring to the teams). “That’s why they make the teams play the games”. Hopefully that’s clearer.

• spudchukar - Jan 25, 2011 at 7:46 PM

OK, UYF, I didn’t think you meant , “the unnecessariness” of “having” to play the games. Sometimes, I think Sabermaniacs consider the actual play of baseball a waste, an exercise that only complicates their pre-ordained prognostications.

• jh0088 - Jan 25, 2011 at 2:45 PM

the point about ‘difference makers” I was trying to make isn’t if those pitchers are “better” pitchers than Nova or Mitre, it’s that entirely by themselves they aren’t big impact pitchers to “make a difference” in the AL East race or the playoffs.

What’s that stat they have, Wins vs Replacement? I am not a stat guy, I make my assumptions based on watching every Yankee game over the years (thank god for MLB.tv) and it’s my gut instinct that there isn’t a pitcher out there, on any team, that is going to be available this year who will make such a contribution to the Yanks that it will make a difference in the pennant race.

As for Buerhle? I love him. But again, that is wish fulfillment thinking. The White Sox will conted in the Central this year. And by July 31 they won’t be so far out of it that they will part with the ace of their staff, when they really should be trying to lock up a guy who is as much the face of that franchise as anyone else they have right now.

Who would make a difference? Buerhle would. Felix would. Lincecum would. But come on, those guys aren’t getting traded.

2011 isn’t a washout year for the Yanks. They can absolutely win that division. They can win 90 -95 games. They can be the wild card team and make noise in the playoffs. But a major trade for a pitcher, who if your rival picked up you wouldn’t sweat it, just isn’t in the cards this year.

• uyf1950 - Jan 25, 2011 at 3:04 PM

My friend, I feel the same way you do about all these stats, etc…I just don’t believe that the Yankees need a #1 or #2 this year to go all the way. They need in my opinion a solid #3. I don’t look at the individual pieces of the Yankees. I look at the team in totality. With a solid #3 either Pettitte or a pick up sometime during the year the Yankees as a “team” match up against any team in either league. Of course that’s just my opinion. But when I look at it with CC, Pettitte or an equivalent, Hughes, AJ (even just slightly better then in 2010) and Nova as the #5. The bullpen if not the best in the ML’s certainly in the top 3. and the Yankee offense still one of the most potent in baseball 2011 is a toss up as to who wins it all. As I said these are just my opinions and it does rely on that “pitcher”. But I don’t see it as being a obstacle that can’t be overcome and my not be an obstacle at all if Andy come back.

• jh0088 - Jan 25, 2011 at 5:08 PM

we’re actually momstly in agreement. I think the only place we differ is that I see the available pitcher markest as underwhelming this year, whereas, you feel that there is someone out there who the Yanks get trade for who will put them over the top.

I agree with that this is a great team and should definately be in contention all year.

14. lordd99 - Jan 26, 2011 at 3:39 AM

I love the “new” Cashman. Is there a more direct and honest GM in the game right now? He doesn’t hold back. It’s not by accident. He is saying things to put pressure on his team and individual players. He’s not in his position to make friends with the players, or to be a fan. As he’s said himself, “if you think like the fans, you’ll soon be sitting with the fans.”

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5367)