Jan 25, 2011, 10:06 AM EDT
espnW’s Amanda Rykoff is at WFAN’s Breakfast with a Champion event in New York this morning, and Yankees GM Brian Cashman is talking to the media. She’s live-tweeting it, and it you can check out her feed now to see what all the columnists will be talking about tomorrow. Among the comments from Cashman that might have some legs:
- WFAN’s Mike Francesca arrived late, turned to Cashman and said “How are you?” Cashman said “I’d be better if I could get a starter.”
- He thinks that Derek Jeter will be moved off shortstop during his current contract period, probably to the outfield.
- Cashman said that that the New York media coverage can wear a guy out. That sound you hear is Bill Madden re-jiggering his “Cashman wants to be a small market GM” column with some extra “I told you so’s.”
- Cashman was asked, once again, about Joba Chamberlain starting. He said that Chamberlain hasn’t been the same pitcher since his injury that occurred in Texas back in 2008. This has been suspected, but I believe it’s the first time that the Yankees have publicly acknowledged that Chamberlain’s injury was a big deal.
- Cashman said that the Red Sox are the better team today, but that the Yankees have a better bullpen. He said that the Yankees are one starter away from being a World Series contender.
- He called Mariano Rivera “The best Yankee I’ve ever seen.” With apologies to Derek Jeter, I’d probably agree with that assessment. I’m not talking about value in some statistical sense — he’s still a closer — but in terms of the awe he inspires, I don’t think any Yankee of the current era comes close to Mo.
Fun stuff. It should give the New York press material until pitchers and catchers report. Thanks for passing it along, Amanda.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 252
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (252)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)