Jan 25, 2011, 7:42 PM EDT
Here we go again.
According to Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York, Darryl Strawberry believes Wally Backman will be the next manager of the Mets.
“Wally will be the next manager of the Mets, in my opinion. I don’t have much say, but I thought he would’ve been the right choice for them. Not taking anything away from Terry [Collins]. He’s a great man and I think he’ll probably do a great job turning these guys around. But I think Wally’s in the future, as far as the manager, and I think he’ll be a super manager.”
The Mets announced this week that Backman will move up to manage Double-A Binghamton in 2011, so if he stays in the organization long enough, he figures to have a much better case the next time there’s a vacancy, at least with me. Granted, as a die-hard Mets fan, I hope Terry Collins leads the team to five consecutive division titles or something, but I’m not irrational enough to believe that will actually happen. By hiring Collins and keeping Backman around, the Mets have essentially kicked the can down the road on this one.
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 2
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 56
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 9
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games