Jan 25, 2011, 7:42 PM EDT
Here we go again.
According to Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York, Darryl Strawberry believes Wally Backman will be the next manager of the Mets.
“Wally will be the next manager of the Mets, in my opinion. I don’t have much say, but I thought he would’ve been the right choice for them. Not taking anything away from Terry [Collins]. He’s a great man and I think he’ll probably do a great job turning these guys around. But I think Wally’s in the future, as far as the manager, and I think he’ll be a super manager.”
The Mets announced this week that Backman will move up to manage Double-A Binghamton in 2011, so if he stays in the organization long enough, he figures to have a much better case the next time there’s a vacancy, at least with me. Granted, as a die-hard Mets fan, I hope Terry Collins leads the team to five consecutive division titles or something, but I’m not irrational enough to believe that will actually happen. By hiring Collins and keeping Backman around, the Mets have essentially kicked the can down the road on this one.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (104)