Darryl Strawberry thinks Wally Backman will be the next manager of the Mets

Jan 25, 2011, 7:42 PM EDT

Wally Backman

Here we go again.

According to Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York, Darryl Strawberry believes Wally Backman will be the next manager of the Mets.

“Wally will be the next manager of the Mets, in my opinion. I don’t have much say, but I thought he would’ve been the right choice for them. Not taking anything away from Terry [Collins]. He’s a great man and I think he’ll probably do a great job turning these guys around. But I think Wally’s in the future, as far as the manager, and I think he’ll be a super manager.”

The Mets announced this week that Backman will move up to manage Double-A Binghamton in 2011, so if he stays in the organization long enough, he figures to have a much better case the next time there’s a vacancy, at least with me. Granted, as a die-hard Mets fan, I hope Terry Collins leads the team to five consecutive division titles or something, but I’m not irrational enough to believe that will actually happen. By hiring Collins and keeping Backman around, the Mets have essentially kicked the can down the road on this one.

1. 3greenowls - Jan 25, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Can someone explain to me the unabashed love for Backman? I don’t quite get it.

• D.J. Short - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:09 PM

For a certain segment of Mets fans, it’s two-fold. One, he was on the ’86 team. Two, he has “fire,” something Jerry Manuel lacked. I was opposed to hiring him, mostly because he didn’t have higher-level managerial experience or even any coaching experience in the big leagues. If he can prove himself in the minor leagues by managing at Double-A and/or Triple-A, I’d be willing to give him more consideration in a couple years.

• phillysoulfan - Jan 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Wally Backman is to Mets fans what Larry Bowa was to Phillies fans.

2. Old Gator - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:30 PM

I’m a Backman backer, but there’s no point getting into that again since the Mets saw fit to go gray, gray flannel with the uninspired and uninspiring retread Terry Collins instead. I may be a Feesher of men now, but My ’86 Mets creds are well known around here. But what of that.

Thing is, it’s very funny that Darryl Strawberry, of all people, should be extolling the virtues of Wally Backman, because during their last season together on the Mutts they didn’t exactly like each other very much. Backman made some offseason comments about Strawberry’s lack of focus, or some such thing, and I remember the Straw being quoted as saying “wait till I get my hands around that (grawlix) little redneck’s throat!” – or words very much to that effect. As Lisa, the former Mrs., would tell you, when Darryl says thing like that, they are to be taken seriously.

But it sounds like Straw found religion or something. I hope it was Buddha – the other guy sells too hard.

3. BC - Jan 26, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I don’t want Backman ANYWHERE near my Mets. Nowhere. Unless he’s schlepping hot dogs outside Citi Field, do NOT let him near the team. He has nothing close to the experience needed to manage in New York, and he’s generally a total scumbag. How did Butch Hobson and Bucky Dent work out managing in similar situations? Um…. not so much.
    They ever hire Backman, and I’m putting my fan allegiance on eBay for bid.
    As far as Darryl… dude, you stopped being relevant over a decade ago. Find something else to do.

4. metalhead65 - Jan 26, 2011 at 12:14 PM

why is strawberry mentioned? 27 drug busts or whatever make your opinion moot. only the most delusional people care what you have to say just go away!and can you guys stop reporting about him?most fans think of drugs and nothing else when his name comes up,don’t realy care that he might have been a good player at one point he blew all that for drugs yet he feels like because he played the game he should still get the attention.like I said 27 chances later we don’t or at least this baseball fan does not care what you have to say and you are the last person I would want around young impressionable minds. what can you possibly say to them to keep them on a straight and narrow path? don’t do drugs kids cause like if you get busted 27 times like I did it can ruin your career?great message,just keep saying sorry and they will keep paying you untill you can’t play anymore. I am all for second chances but this guy had more than anybody has a right to and blew them all.it wasn’t untill he could no longer play and make money that he got his act together supposedly,hey maybe he just hasn’t got caught again but I for one and sick of hearing about him!

• BC - Jan 26, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Read this book – an awesome read – and you’ll get an idea of why Darryl ended up where he did.

All the trade deadline news to know