Great moments in team merchandise: Chicago Cubs edition

Jan 25, 2011, 10:59 AM EDT

This is one you'll need to click-through to see in its full glory.

I don’t spend a lot of time clicking around MLB.com’s online store, but Desipio does, and he (it?) found this:

And even better than the look is the price: $139.  Really. One hundred and thirty-nine American dollars.  If I was an eccentric millionaire I’d buy 20 of them and make the staff wear them as a lark, but I can’t see why a sane person in need of a button down shirt would wear that, let alone pay $139 for it.

UPDATE: There’s a Phillies version too.

1. umrguy42 - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:02 AM

I personally love the fact that while most other teams have World Series DVD collections, all the Cubs can get is a “Great Games Collector’s Edition” :p

2. bloodysock - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Fugly

3. cintiphil - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Well they can’t play the game, but they can try to look good. Good try cubbies, but it didn’t work.

4. bcopus - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:13 AM

That shirt is somebody’s lifetime achievement. Granted, that person is probably only 8 years old and has a long ways to go yet, but…

5. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Craig, I think you’re forgetting the demographics of the Cubs’ fan base. Lots of Lincoln Park-ites and suburbanites will be buying this to match their stitched jeans and faux-hawks. Wrigley is the biggest singles bar in Chicago, as they say, and these folks want to look pretty for their female counterparts.

6. Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Did anyone notice the cuffs? After I barfed looking at the back logo and the strange two tone front. I then had to barf again after noticing the cuffs look like they come from 2 different shirts.

Two Barfs up!!! that’s my rating. Ya know, I’m a Phills fan, that’s how we do.

• Alex K - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Dude, the right sleeve is cuffed in this picture. The sleeves match.

• Tim's Neighbor - Jan 25, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I’ve always said that french cuffs and baseball go together.

7. spudchukar - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:32 AM

What no button-down? Is it long sleeved to cover up the scars?

8. drkincaid - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I actually own this shirt but I have never had the cajones to wear it. My wife and her mother bought it for me on clearance this Summer at Von Maur. They meant well, but they didn’t understand how utterly ridiculous this. It’s not just crazy, it’s Nicolas Cage/Gary Busey crazy.

I can’t fathom where I could possibly wear it. I can’t wear it to a game because it’s too formal, I can’t wear it in public because it’s too crazy, and I can’t wear it to work because my Braves fan boss would can my ass and have a legitimate claim that I am unfit to work.

In the shirt’s defense, it does look better in person (lighter blue pin stripes are more visible) and it is really high quality.

• Alex K - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:00 PM

We had a “sports day” at work this summer and this shirt was worn by a guy at my office. I second drkincaid, it’s not quite as bad in person, but it’s also not a shirt I would find the occasion to wear.

9. paralamaleta - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:38 AM

unfortunately this isn’t only a cubbies thing.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:41 AM

J5 and UH, when are your birthdays? Paralamaleta found the perfect gifts for both of you.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:48 AM

I’d have to burn it. It’s uglier than any other shirt I’ve seen. Apparently this designer did it to more than a couple teams.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Than one is even worse yet!!!! It’s like the Cubbies shirt’s uglier step sister! wow.

• trevorb06 - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Is there a Twin’s one?!

• ThatGuy - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Twins is available.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Yes, but it’s not nearly as ugly.

10. marshmallowsnake - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Check out the Boston one…is that really pink on there? Who the hell would wear this?

11. Charles Gates - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Craig, I’m rather disappointed in you. It’s not the shirt you don’t like, it’s the team. Because you know if there was one for a Mystery Team, you’d gladly pay $139 + the overnight shipping cost.

12. Gobias Industries - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:06 PM

This shirt should only be worn by permit-less Tunisian fruit vendors.

13. marshmallowsnake - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:07 PM

This is just gross…

14. trevorb06 - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Craig, if we all pooled our money together and bought you the Braves shirt would you wear it on HBT Daily in front of the camera for your fans? Think of the positive publicity you’d get by the negative outfit you’d be wearing. Do it for the minions!

• Craig Calcaterra - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Oh, in a heartbeat. Indeed, I may try to wear the most ridiculous stuff I can find when we get HBT Daily cranking again.

• trevorb06 - Jan 25, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Craig, put up a post to gather the minions to get you this shirt with the promie that you’ll wear it. We’ll get your shirt!

Man… why did I stop commenting this site? I’m too lazy to even make a log-in.

15. spudchukar - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:35 PM

To complete the ensemble, they should offer a Last-Place Tie, it is the most they can hope for.

16. bcopus - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I’ll have to wear one of these when I get my candy factory up and running again. Keep your eyes open for those golden tickets fellas.

17. nelsonsaint - Jan 25, 2011 at 1:10 PM

sartorial correction: button-down refers to a collar. button-front refers to the shirt itself. thus, this is not a button-down shirt, but a button-front shirt.

(pet peeve)

• spudchukar - Jan 25, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I know the difference, I was wondering why if the merchandise offered was going to be that “stuffy”, why not buttondown?

18. shaggylocks - Jan 25, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Actually, every single team has one of these shirts. Enjoy, fellas!

19. macjacmccoy - Jan 26, 2011 at 2:46 PM

The only way I could see a guy wearing that Phillies shirt is if he was trying to make a career out of being a Harry Kalas impersonator. Other then that I dont see an occasion when that shirt would be appropriate .

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3618)