Jan 25, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT
Initially expected to be sidelined for the first two months of the season following September shoulder surgery, Jason Kendall told Terez Paylor of the Kansas City Star that he’s “ahead of the game” and could be cleared to resume throwing early next month.
Whether that would leave him enough time to potentially be ready for Opening Day is unclear, but Kendall seems very optimistic about his revised timetable:
They originally told me I wasn’t supposed to start throwing until June, but now I can start throwing in February. I still expect to be back for Opening Day. Is it going to happen? I don’t know. But if it’s not Opening Day, it’s going to be shortly after. I’m gonna play sooner than later, but I’m not gonna be foolish about it, either.
Brayan Pena will fill in for Kendall, which isn’t much of a dropoff (if any). Kendall allowed an MLB-high 101 steals last season, so teams will be running like crazy on his surgically repaired shoulder, and he also had the sixth-worst OPS among all players with 400 or more plate appearances.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)