Jason Kendall is “ahead of the game” with recovery from shoulder surgery

Jan 25, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT

Colorado Rockies v Kansas City Royals

Initially expected to be sidelined for the first two months of the season following September shoulder surgery, Jason Kendall told Terez Paylor of the Kansas City Star that he’s “ahead of the game” and could be cleared to resume throwing early next month.

Whether that would leave him enough time to potentially be ready for Opening Day is unclear, but Kendall seems very optimistic about his revised timetable:

They originally told me I wasn’t supposed to start throwing until June, but now I can start throwing in February. I still expect to be back for Opening Day. Is it going to happen? I don’t know. But if it’s not Opening Day, it’s going to be shortly after. I’m gonna play sooner than later, but I’m not gonna be foolish about it, either.

Brayan Pena will fill in for Kendall, which isn’t much of a dropoff (if any). Kendall allowed an MLB-high 101 steals last season, so teams will be running like crazy on his surgically repaired shoulder, and he also had the sixth-worst OPS among all players with 400 or more plate appearances.

1. BC - Jan 25, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Great. A 45-year old catcher who can’t hit or throw is “ahead of the game”. Go Royals. Woo. Hoo.

• spudchukar - Jan 25, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Right On, BC. Kendall’s claim to fame is his handling of pitchers and game-calling. Ought to come in real handy with Hochevar, Davies, Mazzaro, Francis and Chen.

• BC - Jan 25, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Hochevar, Davies, Mazzaro, Francis and Chen sounds more like an accounting firm than a pitching staff.

2. clydeserra - Jan 25, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Will he be able to play the piano again?

3. stankfinger - Jan 25, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I swear to you if you asked me 5 minutes ago, before I saw this article, about Jason Kendall I would have said I thought he retired 3 years ago.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3009)