Jan 25, 2011, 1:16 PM EST
Initially expected to be sidelined for the first two months of the season following September shoulder surgery, Jason Kendall told Terez Paylor of the Kansas City Star that he’s “ahead of the game” and could be cleared to resume throwing early next month.
Whether that would leave him enough time to potentially be ready for Opening Day is unclear, but Kendall seems very optimistic about his revised timetable:
They originally told me I wasn’t supposed to start throwing until June, but now I can start throwing in February. I still expect to be back for Opening Day. Is it going to happen? I don’t know. But if it’s not Opening Day, it’s going to be shortly after. I’m gonna play sooner than later, but I’m not gonna be foolish about it, either.
Brayan Pena will fill in for Kendall, which isn’t much of a dropoff (if any). Kendall allowed an MLB-high 101 steals last season, so teams will be running like crazy on his surgically repaired shoulder, and he also had the sixth-worst OPS among all players with 400 or more plate appearances.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)