Jan 25, 2011, 5:11 PM EDT
Last week Milton Bradley was arrested and charged with a felony after allegedly threatening a woman, which is the latest in a long line of on- and off-field “incidents” involving the troubled outfielder who’s played for eight teams in 11 years.
At the time there was speculation the Mariners might simply get rid of Bradley, which given his sizable contract and awful 2010 performance would likely mean an outright release, but today general manager Jack Zduriencik suggested that won’t be the case.
Here are some of Zduriencik’s comments, first in a radio interview with Dave Mahler and then in a follow-up chat with Larry Stone of the Seattle Times:
Obviously, there’s a legal process that Milton has to go through. As of right now, he’s a part of the organization, and we’re planning on him coming into spring training and competing for a job. He’s a member of the organization, he’s signed. Our stand right now is that he’s going to come in and compete for a starting position. I think he competes for those two positions [left field and designated hitter], probably more toward left field. Because he’s a switch-hitter, when he’s healthy, there’s a degree of versatility.
In other words, if Bradley’s legal status doesn’t keep him from playing the Mariners will keep him on the roster. They’d surely love to simply void his contract, but as Craig wrote last week that’s highly unlikely. He has a court date scheduled for February 8.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 53
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 60
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)