Murray Chass can’t let go of Mike Piazza’s back acne

Jan 25, 2011, 6:18 AM EDT

10 METS FAYTOK

While I was initially outraged at Murray Chass’s insistence that he knows Mike Piazza used steroids because he saw back acne on him once while walking through the locker room, I have since become amused by it. And a little bit in awe of his tenaciousness in holding on to the point. He wrote this over the weekend:

If acne is good enough for Federal prosecutors, it’s good enough for me no matter how much Piazza and his supporters scream and whine at my mention of Piazza and the acne that covered his back until it miraculously disappeared when baseball began testing for steroids in 2003 and 2004.

Well, if back acne is good enough for prosecutors in a comically-misguided, tragically-wasteful and nearly evidence-free celebrity prosecution nearly eight years in the making, it should be good enough for a blogger like Chass too.

Personally though? I’d wait for a bit more before I accuse Piazza of ‘roiding. My brother had back acne when he was a teenager. It was because he was kind of a greaseball who got some bad luck in the genes-that-cause-bad-acne front.  Maybe Chass’s New York Times editor back in the day had a brother like that too, because they wouldn’t let him run with these kinds of silly accusations then.

How liberating it is to be a blogger and not have to deal with such petty concerns!

1. steve keane - Jan 25, 2011 at 7:28 AM

I always wondered why the NY Times let Chass go, now I know as Bugs Bunny would say “WHAT A MA-ROON”

I can’t understand why there isn’t as much outrage over the wasted goverment money on the PED witchhunt or the invasion of privacy that goes with it. I wonder how the folks who want baseball players tested or banned because of inuendo would feel if they were treated like this by their employer? I’m sure they’d run to the nearest ACLU office

2. Matthew Flint - Jan 25, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Does this guy like run-on-sentences or what? And his claim is complete garbage. Let him walk around for years in catcher’s gear and see if he gets some zits where they didn’t used to come. I am not saying Piazza is innocent, just that you need more for this kind of claim.

• kcfanatic - Jan 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Yeah, I bet wearing catchers gear in the summer and sweating your ass off for 140 games will give you back acne.

3. huskerguy - Jan 25, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Why even read this guy’s garbage anymore?

4. Kevin S. - Jan 25, 2011 at 8:11 AM

*eagerly awaits BC’s take on what Murray Chass is*

• Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Choco taco?

5. Panda Claus - Jan 25, 2011 at 8:18 AM

I was wondering which I could most stand to be subjected to again, an image in my mind of more Piazza back acne or another Chass baseball column. After following the link and reading how Chass has profiled the Orioles, I’ll pick him–for now. But that could change if he keeps bringing up Piazza.

6. Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Chass is unfit to vote on HOF matters imo. He once “almost forgot to submit his ballot”. So if he’s this serious and it’s that important to him, he’s either Lying about that, or he MUST be a habitual drug user. It all adds up to me that Chass not only smokes crack, but he does it regularly. It took me all morning to find this old post on a blog I once read. But I’ve found it. And it clearly outlines just how much of a crack head Chass really is. It’s a nice breakdown of crackheadness, and the case is much stronger than bacne.

I found Martinez the most difficult to decide.

(Murray Chass) “His name is Edgar but he doesn’t look like a Mexican like all those Mexicans playing baseball look today. This is difficult to decide…is he a Mexican, Latino, Puerto Rican or just has an ethnic name? Either way it is a “no” for him, that’s easy to decide, but this is tough to decide his actual ethnicity.”

I voted for Larkin and Alomar, though not with the same enthusiasm as I voted or would have voted for some previous first-timers,

(Murray) “I guess I will vote for these guys to be bestowed the greatest honor among baseball players, induction to the Hall of Fame, but it doesn’t mean I have to be happy about it.”

such as Nolan Ryan, George Brett and Robin Yount in 1999, had I been permitted to vote then.

Yes, because one of the greatest second basemen in the history of Major League Baseball shouldn’t muster enough enthusiasm as these three guys who weren’t the best at their position during their career.

• Matthew Flint - Jan 25, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Crackheadedness – Confimed! Well done, sir.

7. phillysoulfan - Jan 25, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Did Murray even read what he wrote?

“Attention, Mike Piazza fans and other cynics: A report in The New York Times on Saturday about the Barry Bonds perjury case said that prosecutors said that Bonds’ former girlfriend, Kimberly Bell, “would testify to seeing physical changes in Bonds that are indicative of steroid use, including acne on his back and shoulders…”

No one has accused Piazza of perjury, but he better be careful with what he says if he ever has to testify under oath.”

Bell is going to testify that she saw physical changeS…this is plural, meaning more than one. Acne is ONE factor. Oh, and Mr. Murray, the FBI does not rely on ONE factor when there can be many legitimate reasons for said condition.

8. BC - Jan 25, 2011 at 10:01 AM

I have to get my perfunctory comment out there:
    Murray Chass is a chipwich.
    (Thanks, I feel much better now)
    And dude, I have had back-ne for a long time, and I’m 5’8″, 230, horribly out of shape, with a busted up ankle, bad hip and knee and a penchant for salty food. No correlation to PED’s of any sort, trust me. Chass just needs to STFU.

• Charles Gates - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:07 PM

We need an anti-chipwich.
      I vote burrito.

BC is a burrito.

• BC - Jan 25, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Well, I you are what you eat, right. So yeah, I’ll go with it.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2011 at 2:45 PM

No, we all know BC is a Choco Taco…

Those things are twice as good as chipwiches are btw…

9. fishmatt - Jan 25, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Wow, that means that back when I was in high school and college that I must have been roiding too. Everything makes sense now. This would totally explain why I was in such better shape back then. It’s all falling into place

10. dondbaseball - Jan 25, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Congratulations Craig…you have proven that you do in fact have minions! See all of them following your lead. While I certainly do not respect much of Murray Chass’s articles or opinions I actually do think he has a right to continue this line of thinking. John Dowd was once continually criticized on his stance with Pete Rose and he was proven right. Put aside the fact that Chass wrote this, but let’s say a more progressive writer/blogger wrote this…how many adults develop heavy back acne during their playing career? Obviously teenagers whose testaterone levels are high will have acne but players in their 30’s? And then it completely dissapates? I don’t know if Piazza did or didn’t but if this wasn’t Chass wouldn’t we be looking at other statistical evidence such as his power drop or injury status to help assist in determination like we did with McGwire who had numerous knee issue (side effect of steroids) as did Bonds. The Mets also had a clubhouse that had access to steroids so there is a very likely scenario. I, for one, am going to pause, think and assess Piazza and wait for more evidence.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jan 25, 2011 at 1:47 PM

“I, for one, am going to pause, think and assess Piazza and wait for more evidence.”

That’s all I ask that Chass do. Instead, he has constantly cited Piazza’s back acne as incontrovertible proof — as if nothing else needs to be said or shown.

I have no idea if Mike Piazza did steroids. I wouldn’t be utterly shocked if he did. But I will not cite back acne as a conversation-ender on this point like Chass does, nor do I think any decent journalist would.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Minions or not. Chass is basically a jerk, who has elevated the HOF to religious levels in his own mind. He also seems to believe that if you don’t get a vote, your opinion is utterly worthless. He has made selections in the past that contradict reality. And he has taken it upon himself to become some sort of Conquistador who’s mission is to go after any player he feels took PED’s regardless of lack of evidence. His Holy covenant to the HOF I guess….. is one of crucifying anyone he deems “unpure”. Which is wrong.

If he were to have any valid evidence besides back acne in this case, he’d have every right to choose whomever he wants to choose. But to scream from his “Pulpit” (blog) that he knows Piazza used PED’s because of acne, is just begging for level headed people to question his validity, and his ability to judge potential HOF candidates.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Oh yeah, aren’t you John Heyman?

11. shaggylocks - Jan 25, 2011 at 2:28 PM

YOU CALLED MURRAY CHASS A BLOGGER!!!! Zing!

Three legends off to Cooperstown