Jan 25, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Reported to be close to a deal last week, Todd Coffey and the Nationals have finalized a one-year contract worth $1.35 million.
Coffey was non-tendered by the Brewers last month after earning $2.025 million in 2010, so Milwaukee accurately determined that his market value wasn’t quite that high. Still, he’s a solid middle reliever and the Nationals are getting a nice bargain.
Coffey posted a 3.52 ERA and 128/46 K/BB ratio in 153 innings during three seasons with the Brewers and has a good fastball-slider combo that induces more than 50 percent ground balls. He’ll out-perform several relievers who got multi-year deals this offseason.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)