Jan 25, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Reported to be close to a deal last week, Todd Coffey and the Nationals have finalized a one-year contract worth $1.35 million.
Coffey was non-tendered by the Brewers last month after earning $2.025 million in 2010, so Milwaukee accurately determined that his market value wasn’t quite that high. Still, he’s a solid middle reliever and the Nationals are getting a nice bargain.
Coffey posted a 3.52 ERA and 128/46 K/BB ratio in 153 innings during three seasons with the Brewers and has a good fastball-slider combo that induces more than 50 percent ground balls. He’ll out-perform several relievers who got multi-year deals this offseason.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 162
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (162)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)