Jan 25, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
OK. Calm down, everybody. This all makes sense now.
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Blue Jays did indeed send cash to the Angels to help cover some of Vernon Wells’ massive contract. The whopping sum of $5 million, in fact.
Heyman writes that the “teams apparently just didn’t want to disclose” that money was in the deal. I guess Tony Reagins didn’t want everybody to think he was robbing Alex Anthopoulos blind. That’s just first class.
And so, this little revelation pretty much changes everything. As long as you can forget that Wells is still owed $81 million over the next four seasons, that is.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 103
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)