Jan 25, 2011, 8:59 PM EST
OK. Calm down, everybody. This all makes sense now.
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Blue Jays did indeed send cash to the Angels to help cover some of Vernon Wells’ massive contract. The whopping sum of $5 million, in fact.
Heyman writes that the “teams apparently just didn’t want to disclose” that money was in the deal. I guess Tony Reagins didn’t want everybody to think he was robbing Alex Anthopoulos blind. That’s just first class.
And so, this little revelation pretty much changes everything. As long as you can forget that Wells is still owed $81 million over the next four seasons, that is.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)