Jan 25, 2011, 10:14 PM EST
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Red Sox made “multiple offers” for Jose Bautista at last month’s winter meetings.
These conversations took place after Jayson Werth rocked the baseball world by signing with the Nationals and before the Red Sox signed Carl Crawford, but the addition of Bautista would have likely had a radical impact on Theo Epstein’s offseason plans. Alas, the talks apparently didn’t go very far.
Major league sources say the Red Sox “never got the sense” that the Blue Jays were serious about making a deal. Rosenthal reports that other clubs pursued Bautista, but that the Blue Jays preferred to keep him.
Bautista responded to the report tonight via Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe:
“It’s all just rumors to me at this stage…who knows if any of it is true? There’s nothing for me to comment on yet.”
Bautista also said that he’s not disappointed that the Blue Jays have yet to approach him regarding a multi-year contract.
“Not upset at all. Everything will work itself out.”
Last season’s surprise home run king is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter. He filed for $10.5 million and was offered $7.6 million from the Blue Jays when arbitration figures were exchanged last Tuesday. It’s increasingly likely that the two sides will head to a hearing next month.
Meanwhile, I’m pretty sure Red Sox fans are just fine with the way this offseason has played out.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 70
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)