Jan 25, 2011, 10:14 PM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Red Sox made “multiple offers” for Jose Bautista at last month’s winter meetings.
These conversations took place after Jayson Werth rocked the baseball world by signing with the Nationals and before the Red Sox signed Carl Crawford, but the addition of Bautista would have likely had a radical impact on Theo Epstein’s offseason plans. Alas, the talks apparently didn’t go very far.
Major league sources say the Red Sox “never got the sense” that the Blue Jays were serious about making a deal. Rosenthal reports that other clubs pursued Bautista, but that the Blue Jays preferred to keep him.
Bautista responded to the report tonight via Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe:
“It’s all just rumors to me at this stage…who knows if any of it is true? There’s nothing for me to comment on yet.”
Bautista also said that he’s not disappointed that the Blue Jays have yet to approach him regarding a multi-year contract.
“Not upset at all. Everything will work itself out.”
Last season’s surprise home run king is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter. He filed for $10.5 million and was offered $7.6 million from the Blue Jays when arbitration figures were exchanged last Tuesday. It’s increasingly likely that the two sides will head to a hearing next month.
Meanwhile, I’m pretty sure Red Sox fans are just fine with the way this offseason has played out.
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him