Jan 26, 2011, 6:36 PM EDT
The Angels got all sorts of deserved flak for taking on $81 million of Vernon Wells‘ contract in a trade with the Blue Jays last week. But they could end their offseason on a high note.
Weaver, 28, posted a stellar 3.01 ERA and 1.07 WHIP across 34 starts last season, fanning 233 batters and walking only 54 in 224.1 innings of work. He features a strong four-pitch arsenal and looks to be entering his prime.
The Angels offered the righty a $7.365 million salary last Tuesday when arbitration figures were exchanged and Weaver’s people countered at $8.8 million. Those numbers can be thrown out if a multi-year pact is agreed upon. If it doesn’t happen, the two sides will have to either find a middle ground or they will head to an arbitration hearing and one of the two figures will be selected by a third party.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)