Jan 26, 2011, 6:36 PM EDT
The Angels got all sorts of deserved flak for taking on $81 million of Vernon Wells‘ contract in a trade with the Blue Jays last week. But they could end their offseason on a high note.
Weaver, 28, posted a stellar 3.01 ERA and 1.07 WHIP across 34 starts last season, fanning 233 batters and walking only 54 in 224.1 innings of work. He features a strong four-pitch arsenal and looks to be entering his prime.
The Angels offered the righty a $7.365 million salary last Tuesday when arbitration figures were exchanged and Weaver’s people countered at $8.8 million. Those numbers can be thrown out if a multi-year pact is agreed upon. If it doesn’t happen, the two sides will have to either find a middle ground or they will head to an arbitration hearing and one of the two figures will be selected by a third party.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)