Jan 26, 2011, 9:39 PM EST
As first reported by Mike Axisa of MLB Trade Rumors, the Diamondbacks avoided arbitration on Wednesday evening with Miguel Montero by agreeing to a one-year contract that will pay the catcher $3.2 million in 2011.
Montero was eligible for arbitration this winter for the second time in his career. Last season he pulled in $2 million while batting .266/.332/.438 with nine homers and 43 RBI across 331 plate appearances. He missed about two months due to a torn meniscus and subsequent surgery.
Montero has good power potential and plays half of his games at Arizona’s Chase Field, a park that tends to help power hitters shine.
If the 27-year-old Venezuelan native can stay healthy, he should do damage in what will be his sixth major league season. He’s likely to bat near the heart of the Diamondbacks’ batting order.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 300
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)