Jan 26, 2011, 10:34 AM EDT
Chuck Greenberg would like to be credited with an assist on the Cliff Lee-to-Philly deal:
Even though Philadelphia was probably not in, they were always in the back of our mind,” Greenberg said. “I think if we wouldn’t have gone to Arkansas that last time, I think he was going to sign with the Yankees. We pried the door open a little bit to give ourselves another opportunity. And ultimately the Phillies were able to take advantage of that opportunity that we created.”
I thought we covered this already. Ruben Amaro is a ninja. He does not require an assist any more than the waves need an assist to crash into the shore. Indeed, Amaro is probably standing right behind you right now and you don’t even realize it.
In any event, yesterday Hank Steinbrenner said that he thought that Lee was brushing Cashman and the Yankees off by not meeting with them. Today Greenberg implies that the Rangers never really had a shot and that his trip to Arkansas heroically kept Cliff Lee from joining a league rival. Maybe there’s truth to both of those things, but the extent to which everyone is trying to spin their inability to land Cliff Lee is kind of comical.
Oh, and Greenberg used the phrase “Mystery Team,” so I suppose it’s officially part of the baseball lexicon now. Thanks Jon.
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 15
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 36
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 44
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)