Jan 26, 2011, 10:34 AM EDT
Chuck Greenberg would like to be credited with an assist on the Cliff Lee-to-Philly deal:
Even though Philadelphia was probably not in, they were always in the back of our mind,” Greenberg said. “I think if we wouldn’t have gone to Arkansas that last time, I think he was going to sign with the Yankees. We pried the door open a little bit to give ourselves another opportunity. And ultimately the Phillies were able to take advantage of that opportunity that we created.”
I thought we covered this already. Ruben Amaro is a ninja. He does not require an assist any more than the waves need an assist to crash into the shore. Indeed, Amaro is probably standing right behind you right now and you don’t even realize it.
In any event, yesterday Hank Steinbrenner said that he thought that Lee was brushing Cashman and the Yankees off by not meeting with them. Today Greenberg implies that the Rangers never really had a shot and that his trip to Arkansas heroically kept Cliff Lee from joining a league rival. Maybe there’s truth to both of those things, but the extent to which everyone is trying to spin their inability to land Cliff Lee is kind of comical.
Oh, and Greenberg used the phrase “Mystery Team,” so I suppose it’s officially part of the baseball lexicon now. Thanks Jon.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)