Did the Rangers push Cliff Lee to Philly?

Jan 26, 2011, 10:34 AM EDT

Chuck Greenberg

Chuck Greenberg would like to be credited with an assist on the Cliff Lee-to-Philly deal:

Even though Philadelphia was probably not in, they were always in the back of our mind,” Greenberg said. “I think if we wouldn’t have gone to Arkansas that last time, I think he was going to sign with the Yankees. We pried the door open a little bit to give ourselves another opportunity. And ultimately the Phillies were able to take advantage of that opportunity that we created.”

I thought we covered this already. Ruben Amaro is a ninja. He does not require an assist any more than the waves need an assist to crash into the shore.  Indeed, Amaro is probably standing right behind you right now and you don’t even realize it.

In any event, yesterday Hank Steinbrenner said that he thought that Lee was brushing Cashman and the Yankees off by not meeting with them. Today Greenberg implies that the Rangers never really had a shot and that his trip to Arkansas heroically kept Cliff Lee from joining a league rival.  Maybe there’s truth to both of those things, but the extent to which everyone is trying to spin their inability to land Cliff Lee is kind of comical.

Oh, and Greenberg used the phrase “Mystery Team,” so I suppose it’s officially part of the baseball lexicon now. Thanks Jon.

1. section138 - Jan 26, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Don’t the waves get an assist from the moon? /I’m no damn scientist, however.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 26, 2011 at 11:18 AM

The Moon, or a “mystery satellite” orbiting the earth? It is reported to have offered the shore an addition 10% wetness.

• BC - Jan 26, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Maybe the “mystery satellite” is causing the birds to drop from the sky.

2. BC - Jan 26, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I blame it all on Nixon for taking us off the gold standard.

• seattlej - Jan 26, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I think the answer is definitely in the missing 18 minutes.

• BC - Jan 26, 2011 at 11:17 AM

He went to China though. And he wasn’t a crook.

3. larryhockett - Jan 26, 2011 at 11:06 AM

It is surprising that Greenberg and Steinbrenner keep talking about- AAAHHHH! Jesus, Ruben! Stop doing that when I’m trying to leave a comment on this forum!

4. Jonny 5 - Jan 26, 2011 at 11:09 AM

• Matthew Flint - Jan 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM

That is Awesome! I’ll never look at that statue the same.

• Kevin S. - Jan 26, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Isn’t that sacrilege down there?

5. el820 - Jan 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM

That’s kinda pathetic of an owner… Imagine George Steinbrenner asking for an ‘assist’ if Mike Mussina, Jason Giambi, or Hideki Matsui signed w/ an NL team. It’s not just that… To give himself credit for Cliff Lee’s descision!? Wow what an arrogant a$$. I hope he never gets a ring

6. phillysoulfan - Jan 26, 2011 at 11:19 AM

“Indeed, Amaro is probably standing right behind you right now and you don’t even realize it.”

Craig, I’m always ripping you for one thing or another but this made me chuckle. BTW, I checked, he’s not behind me.

• Alex K - Jan 26, 2011 at 11:24 AM

He was, but by the time you turned around he was gone.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM

He snuck into my office and posted above under my screen name. I just went to get a drink of water from the watercooler….. Damn, he’s slick..

7. phillydano - Jan 26, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Who would win in a fight? Ruben or Rocky?

• Jonny 5 - Jan 26, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Oh Rocky would. Hands down. Did you see Apollo Crede’s face? I mean damn..

8. hardjudge - Jan 26, 2011 at 4:41 PM

You guys must be really bored! Wait I must be really bored reading this stuff!

9. amerrealist - Jan 26, 2011 at 4:59 PM

If so, I’m glad. He’ll cr*p out before end of contract & Yanks will be stuck with Kevin Brown/Carl Pavano etc.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet