Highlights from the Tony La Russa roast

Jan 26, 2011, 4:30 PM EST

La Russa closeup

Last month we learned that the St. Louis chapter of the BBWAA was going to have a roast of Tony La Russa.  Well, it happened last week, and FOXSportsMidwest.com has some of the highlights of it here.

The profanity is bleeped out, but it does get a tad blue.  There’s a good J.D. Drew joke by Steve Kline that was, sadly, kind of messed up in the delivery.  Kline makes up for it with a better Brendan Ryan joke that made me laugh.  Bobby Knight does a recurring telephone gag and talks about bird poop a great deal. Jim Leyland tells a story about he and is wife in bed in which he says “so I start feelin’ around a little bit and, lo and behold, my wife was kinda linin’ it!”  Probably didn’t need to hear that, but it led to a nice joke.

The highlight was the fake Harry Caray-fake Tony La Russa interview near the end.  It was supposed to take place in the early 80s. It is so shockingly true to life that I’m surprised that the real La Russa didn’t stand up and punch someone.

FOX Sports Midwest is going to air this Friday night at 8 p.m. central time if you’re in the neighborhood.

1. cintiphil - Jan 26, 2011 at 4:53 PM

We could sure use him here. With TLR, we might go a little further in the post season.

2. BC - Jan 26, 2011 at 5:29 PM

What kind of roast? Round or sirloin? I find that sirloin dries out too easily…..

3. vikesfansteve - Jan 26, 2011 at 6:13 PM

The Larussa 2 step

4. thefalcon123 - Jan 26, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Something about crusty old Mike Shannon making a joke that involves Zsa Zsa Gabors vagina makes me know what kind of old man I want to be.

5. Jonny 5 - Jan 27, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Why do I dislike this man? I don’t even know him. I rarely dislike people. But there’s something about him that requires I don’t like him. And it bugs me.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2729)
  2. W. Myers (2471)
  3. C. McGehee (2077)
  4. D. Ross (2070)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1928)
  1. J. Shields (1818)