Jan 26, 2011, 4:30 PM EST
Last month we learned that the St. Louis chapter of the BBWAA was going to have a roast of Tony La Russa. Well, it happened last week, and FOXSportsMidwest.com has some of the highlights of it here.
The profanity is bleeped out, but it does get a tad blue. There’s a good J.D. Drew joke by Steve Kline that was, sadly, kind of messed up in the delivery. Kline makes up for it with a better Brendan Ryan joke that made me laugh. Bobby Knight does a recurring telephone gag and talks about bird poop a great deal. Jim Leyland tells a story about he and is wife in bed in which he says “so I start feelin’ around a little bit and, lo and behold, my wife was kinda linin’ it!” Probably didn’t need to hear that, but it led to a nice joke.
The highlight was the fake Harry Caray-fake Tony La Russa interview near the end. It was supposed to take place in the early 80s. It is so shockingly true to life that I’m surprised that the real La Russa didn’t stand up and punch someone.
FOX Sports Midwest is going to air this Friday night at 8 p.m. central time if you’re in the neighborhood.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)