Jan 26, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Last month we learned that the St. Louis chapter of the BBWAA was going to have a roast of Tony La Russa. Well, it happened last week, and FOXSportsMidwest.com has some of the highlights of it here.
The profanity is bleeped out, but it does get a tad blue. There’s a good J.D. Drew joke by Steve Kline that was, sadly, kind of messed up in the delivery. Kline makes up for it with a better Brendan Ryan joke that made me laugh. Bobby Knight does a recurring telephone gag and talks about bird poop a great deal. Jim Leyland tells a story about he and is wife in bed in which he says “so I start feelin’ around a little bit and, lo and behold, my wife was kinda linin’ it!” Probably didn’t need to hear that, but it led to a nice joke.
The highlight was the fake Harry Caray-fake Tony La Russa interview near the end. It was supposed to take place in the early 80s. It is so shockingly true to life that I’m surprised that the real La Russa didn’t stand up and punch someone.
FOX Sports Midwest is going to air this Friday night at 8 p.m. central time if you’re in the neighborhood.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 8
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)