Jan 26, 2011, 4:30 PM EST
Last month we learned that the St. Louis chapter of the BBWAA was going to have a roast of Tony La Russa. Well, it happened last week, and FOXSportsMidwest.com has some of the highlights of it here.
The profanity is bleeped out, but it does get a tad blue. There’s a good J.D. Drew joke by Steve Kline that was, sadly, kind of messed up in the delivery. Kline makes up for it with a better Brendan Ryan joke that made me laugh. Bobby Knight does a recurring telephone gag and talks about bird poop a great deal. Jim Leyland tells a story about he and is wife in bed in which he says ”so I start feelin’ around a little bit and, lo and behold, my wife was kinda linin’ it!” Probably didn’t need to hear that, but it led to a nice joke.
The highlight was the fake Harry Caray-fake Tony La Russa interview near the end. It was supposed to take place in the early 80s. It is so shockingly true to life that I’m surprised that the real La Russa didn’t stand up and punch someone.
FOX Sports Midwest is going to air this Friday night at 8 p.m. central time if you’re in the neighborhood.
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- Robinson Cano, Yankees trade barbs about “disrespect” (104)
- Two thoughts about the elimination of home plate collisions (95)