Jan 26, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Last month we learned that the St. Louis chapter of the BBWAA was going to have a roast of Tony La Russa. Well, it happened last week, and FOXSportsMidwest.com has some of the highlights of it here.
The profanity is bleeped out, but it does get a tad blue. There’s a good J.D. Drew joke by Steve Kline that was, sadly, kind of messed up in the delivery. Kline makes up for it with a better Brendan Ryan joke that made me laugh. Bobby Knight does a recurring telephone gag and talks about bird poop a great deal. Jim Leyland tells a story about he and is wife in bed in which he says “so I start feelin’ around a little bit and, lo and behold, my wife was kinda linin’ it!” Probably didn’t need to hear that, but it led to a nice joke.
The highlight was the fake Harry Caray-fake Tony La Russa interview near the end. It was supposed to take place in the early 80s. It is so shockingly true to life that I’m surprised that the real La Russa didn’t stand up and punch someone.
FOX Sports Midwest is going to air this Friday night at 8 p.m. central time if you’re in the neighborhood.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 26
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)