Jan 26, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Last month we learned that the St. Louis chapter of the BBWAA was going to have a roast of Tony La Russa. Well, it happened last week, and FOXSportsMidwest.com has some of the highlights of it here.
The profanity is bleeped out, but it does get a tad blue. There’s a good J.D. Drew joke by Steve Kline that was, sadly, kind of messed up in the delivery. Kline makes up for it with a better Brendan Ryan joke that made me laugh. Bobby Knight does a recurring telephone gag and talks about bird poop a great deal. Jim Leyland tells a story about he and is wife in bed in which he says “so I start feelin’ around a little bit and, lo and behold, my wife was kinda linin’ it!” Probably didn’t need to hear that, but it led to a nice joke.
The highlight was the fake Harry Caray-fake Tony La Russa interview near the end. It was supposed to take place in the early 80s. It is so shockingly true to life that I’m surprised that the real La Russa didn’t stand up and punch someone.
FOX Sports Midwest is going to air this Friday night at 8 p.m. central time if you’re in the neighborhood.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 110
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 71
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 52
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (117)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)