Justin Duchscherer is “pretty much 100 percent” healthy and wants to start

Jan 26, 2011, 10:41 AM EDT

Justin Duchscherer

Justin Duchscherer missed all of 2009 and most of 2010 following hip and elbow surgeries, but the oft-injured right-hander told Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com that he’s “pretty much 100 percent” healthy.

According to Ghiroli he’s held private workouts for at least five teams, and at various points this offseason Duchscherer has been linked to the Red Sox, Yankees, and Orioles.

All but 32 of his 224 career appearances have come out of the bullpen, but Duchscherer made it very clear that he’s not interested in relieving, saying: “I just don’t feel like, with the injuries I’ve had, that would be beneficial for my career. For me it’s black and white. I want to start, that’s the whole mind-set I have.”

Which is odd, because in most cases injured pitchers are encouraged to become relievers in an effort to stay healthier. If healthy Ducscherer could prove to be a very nice low-cost pickup, as he’s posted a 3.13 ERA in 455 career innings, but he’s 33 years old and has logged more than 60 innings in a season just once in the past five years.

1. uyf1950 - Jan 26, 2011 at 10:52 AM

I say the Yankees should sign him. Low guaranteed money and incentives. He is most definitely a better option at the #5 slot then Mitre. Low cost virtually no downside for the Yankees if they sign him. Then should Pettitte come back for one more year the Yankee rotation looks pretty darn good – CC, Pettitte (if he comes back), Hughes, AJ and Duchscherer with Nova and Mitre and long relief options. OR CC, Hughes, AJ, Duchscherer (if the Yankees sign him) and Nova if Andy doesn’t come back. Then the Yankees can see what’s available at the trade deadline. As the old Nike commercial used to say “JUST DO IT”.

• BC - Jan 26, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Couldn’t agree more. Low risk and makes sense.

• spudchukar - Jan 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Best of what’s left.

• uyf1950 - Jan 26, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I’m curious, are you a fan of any particular team?

• phukyouk - Jan 26, 2011 at 12:49 PM

we dont need him. we got Colon! FML

2. apbaguy - Jan 26, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Best of luck to the Duke of Hurl. But a reading of his injury history strongly suggests he’s going to need all the luck he can get.

3. clydeserra - Jan 26, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I love this guy. Whoever gets him will get their moneys worth in 5 starts. He may fall apart, but not before he shows how awesome he is.

4. Charles Gates - Jan 26, 2011 at 3:07 PM

With his upside plus the number of suitors, I’m guessing he gets a little more than Low guaranteed money and incentives. I’d love to see McPhail roll the dice on this guy in Baltimore, assuming the price isn’t too, too high.

5. Jeremiah Graves - Jan 26, 2011 at 4:02 PM

He makes SO much sense for the Twins.

Sure they’ve got six starters for five spots, but only two (maybe three) of ‘em are guys I’d rather put on the hill in front of Duchscherer when he’s healthy.

Worst-case scenario, he’d be one helluva guy to stick in an otherwise depleted bullpen.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey