Jan 26, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
Back when I practiced law, there was a partner who lost a big case. Millions of dollars at stake, and his client got creamed. We all wanted to taunt him about it afterward, but he simply said “gentlemen, it takes one hell of a lawyer to lose a case as big as that.” We thought he was joking around, but there’s real truth there: if you’re simply no good, no one is ever going to give you the chance to fail that big.
Pitching can be like that. If you stink, you’re gone. But it takes a hell of a pitcher to lose a lot of games. Mike Maroth was like that. He was the last pitcher to lose 20 games in a season when he lost 21 for the 2003 Tigers. Yes, I know that the Tigers roster was way thin that year and someone had to pitch, but Maroth was good enough, healthy enough, and professional enough that Alan Trammell felt OK sending him out there day after day after day, where he eventually locked up loss number 21.
I wouldn’t normally make a point to post about a guy like Mike Maroth retiring, but baseball isn’t just about excellence. It’s about persistence too, and it’s about character. Mike Maroth showed both of those things in 2003. And after that dubious notoriety, he managed to put together a couple of good seasons, including one for a pennant winner in 2006. He was left off the postseason roster that year. He probably didn’t like that much, but I have this feeling that he got OK with it eventually. He’d been through worse on a baseball diamond.
Good luck with whatever you do, Mike.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)