Source: “very strong possibility” that Andy Pettitte pitches in 2011

Jan 26, 2011, 3:22 PM EST

Boston Red Sox v New York Yankees Getty Images

A source close to Andy Pettitte tells me that there is a “very strong possibility” that Pettitte is going to pitch in 2011.  He is doing his usual preseason workouts and has had no physical issues thus far.

Moreover, the source tells me that Pettitte’s hesitation to confirm that he is coming back for the upcoming season is in no way connected to the Roger Clemens trial, which was something that many had speculated about.

Jon Heyman tweeted to this effect a little over an hour ago, but I’m pretty sure that he and I are talking to different people, so I suppose you can consider this corroboration of some kind.  Real journalism frightens and confuses me, however, so maybe it’s more confirmation. Or triangulation.  Or something.

Either way: I have this feeling that Bartolo Colon is not going to be the Yankees #4 starter in 2011.

1. uyf1950 - Jan 26, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I’ll believe it when we fans hear it directly from Andy himself. It will be welcome news if it’s true and when it happens.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 27, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Yeah; excellent work Craig, but when Andy himself says it, that’s the only source who can say for sure.

2. yankeesfanlen - Jan 26, 2011 at 3:34 PM

My magic 8 ball has been saying for months: “Signs point to yes”.
    No further confirmation needed.

• uyf1950 - Jan 26, 2011 at 3:39 PM

If the report is credible. This makes the Yankee starting rotation look a whole lot better, especially when you factor in the improvements in the bullpen for 2011.

3. bcopus - Jan 26, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Is this going to be followed by an “extremely likely” tomorrow, and then some other form of rhetoric which implies the same thing the day after that? Because today there’s a “good possibility” I’m tired of hearing about Pettite, but tomorrow it’s a “very real chance”.

4. amerrealist - Jan 26, 2011 at 3:45 PM

My magic 8 ball says the same thing so it’s confirmed.

5. BC - Jan 26, 2011 at 3:48 PM

He’s coming back. They’ll throw $11mil or so at him, and he’ll be back.
    They should still sign Duchscherererererer though.

• uyf1950 - Jan 26, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Agreed. But can we just call him JD from now on his last name is to hard to spell on a regular basis.

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 26, 2011 at 3:59 PM

I’ll go along with the JD too. Glad he’s a pitcher cause Sterling would have a difficult time coming up with a home run call.

• Ari Collins - Jan 26, 2011 at 4:03 PM

His nickname is Duke I believe, if that helps. There’s already two JDs in the AL East.

• phukyouk - Jan 26, 2011 at 4:04 PM

why? its like fladereereererererers

• BC - Jan 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I’m a big JD-and-diet fan whilst at my local establishment playing billiards.

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM

So I guess Duke is now a member of the Universe by unanimous consent. Shall I have Randy tell Brian?

• BC - Jan 26, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Dude, I’m a Mets fan not a Yankees fan. I have Ollie Perez ostensibly in my starting rotation this year. Gimme some sympathy people!!!…..

• uyf1950 - Jan 26, 2011 at 5:23 PM

BC – but at least you don’t have Omar running things there any more.

• BC - Jan 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM

And thank (poly-syllabic word omitted) God that Omar is not there!
        We’ll still suck this year though. 4th place, 76-78 or so wins.
        But HEY, NASCAR fires up soon!!!

6. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 26, 2011 at 4:03 PM

I don’t always watch baseball, but when I do, I hate on the Yankees.

• phukyouk - Jan 26, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Stay angry my friend.

7. Jonny 5 - Jan 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Well, I like Andy. Always have. He just reminds me of a nice southern gentleman. I hate how he can stretch a game out by 45 minutes without even trying though. Thank goodness CC and Hughes work relatively fast. Maybe less of Posada making 20 trips to the mound will help though too?

• uyf1950 - Jan 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Personally I don’t care how long it takes him as long as he comes back for one more year. But I agree with you about Posada. It should speed up the games a little without him behind the plate. Now if Boston can just get Papelbon to make his entrance from the bullpen to the mound a little faster all will be better in NY and Boston.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM

LOL!!! Make him run like Mr. Lee does.

8. Gobias Industries - Jan 26, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Source: “very strong possibility” that Gobias Industries pukes all over himself if Andy Pettitte doesn’t make a damn decision already, I mean, good lord

9. Brian Murphy - Jan 26, 2011 at 5:37 PM

“Why would he be working out if he’s not playing?”

Yeah! If you’re not playing sports, why even try to stay in shape!

10. jh0088 - Jan 26, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I’m still sticking by my totally unfounded gut instinct belief that Pettite pulls a Favre and signs with the Rangers in order to stay close to home.

Feel free to mock as I am sure you will.

• uyf1950 - Jan 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM

That’s what people said Lee was going to do. We all know how that worked out. That saying close to home theory is way over blown.

• jh0088 - Jan 26, 2011 at 5:54 PM

i know, i know…. but i said it about Pettite back in October because he actually went ahead and did that once before by leaving the Yanks to play for Houston. lol. And if you follow the link, bear in mind I wrote that post in the second inning of Game 1 of the WS… you know, before the Rangers got their butts whooped.

• uyf1950 - Jan 26, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I think the only reason he went to Houston for the 2004 season was to follow his buddy Clemens. That was a long time ago. He’s been going one one deals for the last 2 or 3 years. If he wanted to be close to home or shall I say if it was that important to him he would have done it be now.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5033)