Jan 26, 2011, 11:59 AM EDT
Yesterday Brian Cashman said that he’d feel better if he signed a starter. He also said that the Yankees are a starter away from being a World Series contender.
Today he signed Bartolo Colon. Really.
It’s a minor league deal. Colon probably doesn’t even make the team. It’s not going to prevent the Yankees from doing anything they would have otherwise done. But really, the optics of it are not good, as they say.
It’s the Yankees. Everyone overanalyzes what they do. Because of that — and because absolutely nothing else is going on right now — you have to wonder if this could have waited until the questions about their rotation had been resolved. Because coming as it does now, many people are going to presume that this is Cashman’s answer to those questions, and the media calliope is going to start rum-pum-pumming about it. Bartolo Colon would have still been waiting around in a couple of weeks. And if he wasn’t, some other tomato can starter like him would have been. People are now going to bombard Cashman with questions about how the Yankees rotation plans went from Cliff Lee to Bartolo Colon in the space of two months.
I had resisted this line of thinking as it has become more and more popular in recent days, but really, I am now prepared to admit that Cashman is trying to get himself run out of town on a rail. Or, at any rate, signing Bartolo Colon is something I’d do if I wanted such a thing.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)