Jan 26, 2011, 11:29 AM EDT
Friend of HBT Caryn Rose — of Metsgrrl fame — went to an event called “Art of Televised Baseball” last night, where the main attraction was SNY’s Bill Webb talking about how baseball games are produced for TV. Lots of fun insider stuff about the decisions Webb — the director of some 145 Mets games a year — makes in order to get the product you see on the screen. Among them:
- When Keith is laughing and there’s nothing going on in the booth that’s funny, it’s because Webb is saying something to him in his earpiece. He told the story of the time Ralph Kiner sneezed, and Webb said “Gesundheit” and Ralph said “Thank you” on air.
- [Webb] Mentioned both David Wells’ perfect game and David Cone’s perfect game as two of his most memorable ones. Someone then asked how he changed his coverage during a perfect game and he first said that he didn’t, but that he made sure that low 3rd, low 1st and CF cameras were always covering the pitcher so that if he blew it, the pitcher would be facing the camera.
It’s so easy to let a game wash over you when you watch it on TV. Then you realize that, as you’re sitting there, some guy in a production truck is changing the camera angles, putting up graphics and otherwise barking out orders every five or six seconds for three hours so that you can get your fix.
Good stuff. Tons and tons more of Webb’s observations are passed along. Nice writeup from Caryn. Check it out.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 17
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)