Jan 27, 2011, 2:23 AM EDT
What will it take for Brandon Webb to get you into a car?
The former Cy Young Award winner, who is trying to make a comeback from shoulder surgery with the Texas Rangers, is selling used cars with his brother-in-law in his hometown of Ashland, Ky.
A lot of pro athletes have businesses on the side, from real estate projects to bars and restaurants. Some even own car dealerships. But Webb actually is selling them. And we’re not talking about Escalades and Navigators. Think Honda Accords. Very old Honda Accords.
“I got a little lot out here at this golf course that I bought,” Webb said. “We ended up just throwing some cars there. My brother-in-law has been selling cars for most of his life and he decided to do that, and I was like, ‘Alright, let’s do it.’ So we got about, I don’t know, 15-20 cars. We specialize in high-mileage cars, too. If y’all need one I can definitely get you taken care of. … I’m actually at the dealership right now.”
A used car lot at a golf course? Sounds like a place where Ty Webb — not Brandon Webb — might hang out.
On a side note, Webb also said that he was making “dramatic strides,” in his rehab, and that he would be ready to hit the ground running at spring training. But it’s good to know he has a back-up plan, just in case.
Now, what do we need to do to get you Rangers fans into one of these beauties?
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)