Jan 27, 2011, 2:23 AM EST
What will it take for Brandon Webb to get you into a car?
The former Cy Young Award winner, who is trying to make a comeback from shoulder surgery with the Texas Rangers, is selling used cars with his brother-in-law in his hometown of Ashland, Ky.
A lot of pro athletes have businesses on the side, from real estate projects to bars and restaurants. Some even own car dealerships. But Webb actually is selling them. And we’re not talking about Escalades and Navigators. Think Honda Accords. Very old Honda Accords.
“I got a little lot out here at this golf course that I bought,” Webb said. “We ended up just throwing some cars there. My brother-in-law has been selling cars for most of his life and he decided to do that, and I was like, ‘Alright, let’s do it.’ So we got about, I don’t know, 15-20 cars. We specialize in high-mileage cars, too. If y’all need one I can definitely get you taken care of. … I’m actually at the dealership right now.”
A used car lot at a golf course? Sounds like a place where Ty Webb — not Brandon Webb — might hang out.
On a side note, Webb also said that he was making “dramatic strides,” in his rehab, and that he would be ready to hit the ground running at spring training. But it’s good to know he has a back-up plan, just in case.
Now, what do we need to do to get you Rangers fans into one of these beauties?
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 10
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 50
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 34
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (102)