Jan 27, 2011, 2:23 AM EDT
What will it take for Brandon Webb to get you into a car?
The former Cy Young Award winner, who is trying to make a comeback from shoulder surgery with the Texas Rangers, is selling used cars with his brother-in-law in his hometown of Ashland, Ky.
A lot of pro athletes have businesses on the side, from real estate projects to bars and restaurants. Some even own car dealerships. But Webb actually is selling them. And we’re not talking about Escalades and Navigators. Think Honda Accords. Very old Honda Accords.
“I got a little lot out here at this golf course that I bought,” Webb said. “We ended up just throwing some cars there. My brother-in-law has been selling cars for most of his life and he decided to do that, and I was like, ‘Alright, let’s do it.’ So we got about, I don’t know, 15-20 cars. We specialize in high-mileage cars, too. If y’all need one I can definitely get you taken care of. … I’m actually at the dealership right now.”
A used car lot at a golf course? Sounds like a place where Ty Webb — not Brandon Webb — might hang out.
On a side note, Webb also said that he was making “dramatic strides,” in his rehab, and that he would be ready to hit the ground running at spring training. But it’s good to know he has a back-up plan, just in case.
Now, what do we need to do to get you Rangers fans into one of these beauties?
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP