Jan 27, 2011, 2:23 AM EDT
What will it take for Brandon Webb to get you into a car?
The former Cy Young Award winner, who is trying to make a comeback from shoulder surgery with the Texas Rangers, is selling used cars with his brother-in-law in his hometown of Ashland, Ky.
A lot of pro athletes have businesses on the side, from real estate projects to bars and restaurants. Some even own car dealerships. But Webb actually is selling them. And we’re not talking about Escalades and Navigators. Think Honda Accords. Very old Honda Accords.
“I got a little lot out here at this golf course that I bought,” Webb said. “We ended up just throwing some cars there. My brother-in-law has been selling cars for most of his life and he decided to do that, and I was like, ‘Alright, let’s do it.’ So we got about, I don’t know, 15-20 cars. We specialize in high-mileage cars, too. If y’all need one I can definitely get you taken care of. … I’m actually at the dealership right now.”
A used car lot at a golf course? Sounds like a place where Ty Webb — not Brandon Webb — might hang out.
On a side note, Webb also said that he was making “dramatic strides,” in his rehab, and that he would be ready to hit the ground running at spring training. But it’s good to know he has a back-up plan, just in case.
Now, what do we need to do to get you Rangers fans into one of these beauties?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 77
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)