Jan 27, 2011, 7:50 PM EST
Two Darryl Strawberry stories in one week? Either I’m nostalgic or we need spring training to get here real soon.
In all seriousness, I’m mentioning Strawberry for a very good reason this time, as he plans to run to the top of the Empire State Building to raise money for cancer research. It’s all part of the annual Empire State Building Run-Up event, which will take place on Tuesday, February 1 at 10:30 a.m.
This is no small feat, even for a former eight-time All-Star outfielder. It takes 1,576 steps and 86 flights of stairs to get all the way to the observation deck.
Strawberry will be one of around 100 participants in the race, according to the Associated Press. The event will raise money for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation. You can find more information here. This is a cause close to Strawberry’s heart, as he is a two-time cancer survivor himself.
As always, I’m rooting for you, Darryl.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)