Jan 27, 2011, 7:50 PM EDT
Two Darryl Strawberry stories in one week? Either I’m nostalgic or we need spring training to get here real soon.
In all seriousness, I’m mentioning Strawberry for a very good reason this time, as he plans to run to the top of the Empire State Building to raise money for cancer research. It’s all part of the annual Empire State Building Run-Up event, which will take place on Tuesday, February 1 at 10:30 a.m.
This is no small feat, even for a former eight-time All-Star outfielder. It takes 1,576 steps and 86 flights of stairs to get all the way to the observation deck.
Strawberry will be one of around 100 participants in the race, according to the Associated Press. The event will raise money for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation. You can find more information here. This is a cause close to Strawberry’s heart, as he is a two-time cancer survivor himself.
As always, I’m rooting for you, Darryl.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)