Jan 27, 2011, 7:50 PM EDT
Two Darryl Strawberry stories in one week? Either I’m nostalgic or we need spring training to get here real soon.
In all seriousness, I’m mentioning Strawberry for a very good reason this time, as he plans to run to the top of the Empire State Building to raise money for cancer research. It’s all part of the annual Empire State Building Run-Up event, which will take place on Tuesday, February 1 at 10:30 a.m.
This is no small feat, even for a former eight-time All-Star outfielder. It takes 1,576 steps and 86 flights of stairs to get all the way to the observation deck.
Strawberry will be one of around 100 participants in the race, according to the Associated Press. The event will raise money for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation. You can find more information here. This is a cause close to Strawberry’s heart, as he is a two-time cancer survivor himself.
As always, I’m rooting for you, Darryl.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona