Jan 27, 2011, 7:50 PM EST
Two Darryl Strawberry stories in one week? Either I’m nostalgic or we need spring training to get here real soon.
In all seriousness, I’m mentioning Strawberry for a very good reason this time, as he plans to run to the top of the Empire State Building to raise money for cancer research. It’s all part of the annual Empire State Building Run-Up event, which will take place on Tuesday, February 1 at 10:30 a.m.
This is no small feat, even for a former eight-time All-Star outfielder. It takes 1,576 steps and 86 flights of stairs to get all the way to the observation deck.
Strawberry will be one of around 100 participants in the race, according to the Associated Press. The event will raise money for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation. You can find more information here. This is a cause close to Strawberry’s heart, as he is a two-time cancer survivor himself.
As always, I’m rooting for you, Darryl.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)