Jan 27, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Colorado added a pair of veterans on minor-league deals, signing infielder Alfredo Amezaga and catcher Chad Moeller.
Moeller has little chance of cracking the Opening Day roster with Chris Iannetta and Jose Morales ahead of him on the depth chart, but Amezaga should have a legitimate chance to claim a bench spot if healthy.
Amezaga averaged 388 plate appearances per season for the Marlins from 2006 to 2008, beginning each year as a bench player before stepping into a bigger role, but he missed most of 2009 and all of 2010 following microfracture surgery on his left knee and turned 33 years old last week.
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 0
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)