Jan 27, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Colorado added a pair of veterans on minor-league deals, signing infielder Alfredo Amezaga and catcher Chad Moeller.
Moeller has little chance of cracking the Opening Day roster with Chris Iannetta and Jose Morales ahead of him on the depth chart, but Amezaga should have a legitimate chance to claim a bench spot if healthy.
Amezaga averaged 388 plate appearances per season for the Marlins from 2006 to 2008, beginning each year as a bench player before stepping into a bigger role, but he missed most of 2009 and all of 2010 following microfracture surgery on his left knee and turned 33 years old last week.
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 26
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 16
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)