Jan 27, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Colorado added a pair of veterans on minor-league deals, signing infielder Alfredo Amezaga and catcher Chad Moeller.
Moeller has little chance of cracking the Opening Day roster with Chris Iannetta and Jose Morales ahead of him on the depth chart, but Amezaga should have a legitimate chance to claim a bench spot if healthy.
Amezaga averaged 388 plate appearances per season for the Marlins from 2006 to 2008, beginning each year as a bench player before stepping into a bigger role, but he missed most of 2009 and all of 2010 following microfracture surgery on his left knee and turned 33 years old last week.
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 35
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 15
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)