The Indians may be interested in Casey Kotchman

Jan 27, 2011, 4:02 PM EDT

Seattle Mariners v Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Getty Images

Jon Paul Morosi:

Indians have interest in Casey Kotchman on minor-league deal, source says. LH bat, could compete with LaPorta.

Can someone please explain to me why the Indians would want Casey Kotchman to take playing time away from Matt LaPorta?  They have no money. They have the strongest imperative imaginable to get the most innings from guys with upside who are team-controlled for several years.  If their current salary structure holds, there is no way they can ever compete without the main contributions coming from players like LaPorta.

I know Laporta has his flaws — and that he’s entering his age-26 season so he’s not exactly a youngin’ anymore — but at least he has shown in the past that he might turn into a productive major leaguer. Kotchman, on the other hand, has shown his ceiling. And even at that level he’s not good enough to be an everyday first baseman.

I hope that this is the second rumor of the day that Buster Olney or someone debunks. I really don’t want to see the Indians costing potentially useful players plate appearances in an effort to beat out the Kansas City Royals for fourth place.

1. Lukehart80 - Jan 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM

The off-season is a depressing time to be an Indians’ fan. Don’t get me wrong, the actual season is a depressing time too, but at least there’s actual baseball going on. I hope the team signs Wesley Snipes and sends him out there with Shin-Soo and Grady.

2. RickyB - Jan 27, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Always thought it was young’un. Looks like youngin’ may be a new urban thing … http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=youngin

Didn’t know you were so hip, Craig!

3. Lukehart80 - Jan 27, 2011 at 7:02 PM

I prefer “littlun,” but that’s probably because I’m a big fan of “Lord of the Flies.”

Speaking of which, what’s Jack Merridew up to? He swings a mean stick, the Tribe could use him.

4. bigtrav425 - Jan 27, 2011 at 9:44 PM

The Indians front office/management is disgusting and sickening! You dont get potential out of someone by platooning them!!! this guy was the key figure in the CC trade and they just keep F’n with him! We are screwed until The Dolans AND Shapiro both go!…Shapiro should of been fired 5 yrs ago.He is still living on his Bartolo Colon trade of 10 yrs ago or so

5. mje3 - Jan 27, 2011 at 11:10 PM

I see Kotchman on the Indians primarily as a late inning defensive replacement. LaPorta is a butcher with the glove, and Kotchman is very slick around the bag. He can help protect the 50-60 games the Indians might win this year.

6. writtenbyross - Jan 28, 2011 at 7:14 AM

I’m starting to think the Indians have fallen in love with the irony of a great regression immediately naming the field Progressive.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5049)