Jan 27, 2011, 4:02 PM EDT
Indians have interest in Casey Kotchman on minor-league deal, source says. LH bat, could compete with LaPorta.
Can someone please explain to me why the Indians would want Casey Kotchman to take playing time away from Matt LaPorta? They have no money. They have the strongest imperative imaginable to get the most innings from guys with upside who are team-controlled for several years. If their current salary structure holds, there is no way they can ever compete without the main contributions coming from players like LaPorta.
I know Laporta has his flaws — and that he’s entering his age-26 season so he’s not exactly a youngin’ anymore — but at least he has shown in the past that he might turn into a productive major leaguer. Kotchman, on the other hand, has shown his ceiling. And even at that level he’s not good enough to be an everyday first baseman.
I hope that this is the second rumor of the day that Buster Olney or someone debunks. I really don’t want to see the Indians costing potentially useful players plate appearances in an effort to beat out the Kansas City Royals for fourth place.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 14
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 36
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 18
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)