Jan 27, 2011, 4:02 PM EST
Indians have interest in Casey Kotchman on minor-league deal, source says. LH bat, could compete with LaPorta.
Can someone please explain to me why the Indians would want Casey Kotchman to take playing time away from Matt LaPorta? They have no money. They have the strongest imperative imaginable to get the most innings from guys with upside who are team-controlled for several years. If their current salary structure holds, there is no way they can ever compete without the main contributions coming from players like LaPorta.
I know Laporta has his flaws — and that he’s entering his age-26 season so he’s not exactly a youngin’ anymore — but at least he has shown in the past that he might turn into a productive major leaguer. Kotchman, on the other hand, has shown his ceiling. And even at that level he’s not good enough to be an everyday first baseman.
I hope that this is the second rumor of the day that Buster Olney or someone debunks. I really don’t want to see the Indians costing potentially useful players plate appearances in an effort to beat out the Kansas City Royals for fourth place.
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 10
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 125
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (128)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)