Jan 27, 2011, 4:02 PM EDT
Indians have interest in Casey Kotchman on minor-league deal, source says. LH bat, could compete with LaPorta.
Can someone please explain to me why the Indians would want Casey Kotchman to take playing time away from Matt LaPorta? They have no money. They have the strongest imperative imaginable to get the most innings from guys with upside who are team-controlled for several years. If their current salary structure holds, there is no way they can ever compete without the main contributions coming from players like LaPorta.
I know Laporta has his flaws — and that he’s entering his age-26 season so he’s not exactly a youngin’ anymore — but at least he has shown in the past that he might turn into a productive major leaguer. Kotchman, on the other hand, has shown his ceiling. And even at that level he’s not good enough to be an everyday first baseman.
I hope that this is the second rumor of the day that Buster Olney or someone debunks. I really don’t want to see the Indians costing potentially useful players plate appearances in an effort to beat out the Kansas City Royals for fourth place.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69