The Rays are getting new fake grass

Jan 27, 2011, 10:35 AM EDT

Texas Rangers v Tampa Bay Rays, Game 1 Getty Images

A wise man once said this of artificial turf: “if a horse can’t eat it, I don’t want to play on it.”

We as fans don’t have to play on turf, but we do watch games played on it, and it’s kind of a drag. Really, if I have a choice of games I’ll almost never watch a home Rays or Blue Jays game due to the turf. Not for philosophical reasons either. I mean, I don’t like turf, but I don’t turn the channel based on principle. It’s merely an aesthetic concern. Baseball doesn’t look right on the stuff, and it distracts me.

Which is why I’m interested in the announcement today that the Rays are getting new turf in Tropicana Field.  It’s an AstroTurf brand surface, replacing the Field Turf they’ve had for several years.  Among the tidbits in the press release is that “light is properly reflected, resulting in better looking field, both live an on film.”

So I guess I’ll probably watch some of the Rays-Orioles series that opens the season, if for no other reason than to see if the field looks better.

1. BC - Jan 27, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Reporter: Do you prefer grass or astroturf?
    Bill Lee: I don’t know. I never smoked astroturf.

2. Charles Gates - Jan 27, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Hopefully the new turf will be teal, a la the Boise State smurf turf.

• BC - Jan 27, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Or was it a college or high school I saw recently that painted their turf red?
      I’m hoping some place goes plaid. Or even better, paisley.

• Charles Gates - Jan 27, 2011 at 11:06 AM

You’re onto something.
        Maybe the turf could be colored like a map: ‘And David Price gets him to pop out to Bulgaria.’
        Then the invariable HR call, ‘That’s a moon shot, it’s outta this world!’

• BC - Jan 27, 2011 at 11:14 AM

No wait! I got it! Paint the whole field like a test pattern!

• Richard In Big D - Jan 27, 2011 at 6:05 PM

High school somewhere in Texas, up near the panhandle, I believe. Keep in mind, though, that high school football in Texas is as big as college football most anywhere else…

• spudchukar - Jan 27, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Eastern Washington University, which held the FBS semi-final, has painted their field bright, scarlet red. That is in Cheney, Washington near Spokane.

3. pisano - Jan 27, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Not only new fake grass, but a fake ballplayer in Manny(the moron) Ramirez. Enjoy!

4. Elwood Larf - Jan 27, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Why in god’s name would you build a dome in one of the most beautiful places in the country? If they can make Pittsburgh look nice as a backdrop beyond centerfield, they sure as hell can do it in Tampa Bay. Whose brilliant idea was this?

• BC - Jan 27, 2011 at 2:17 PM

OK. They’ll be playing double-headers the entire month of September, and that’s if a tropical storm or hurricane doesn’t hit. All it takes down there is a shift of wind, and whammo – thunderstorm. Forget day games. C’mon. A dome – or retractable roof – makes sense.

5. tellrodt - Jan 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM

It’s called heat with lots of humidity and evening thunder storms you can count on like clockwork during the summer months.

6. dasher521 - Jan 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM

“If a horse can’t eat it . . .” – that wise sage, Dick “don’t call me Richie” Allen. And, he hit some moon shots along the way.

7. trevorb06 - Jan 27, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I don’t like turf either, just makes things all itchy while rounding third base.

8. andrewkw - Jan 27, 2011 at 12:09 PM

At least they have a dirt infield, the blue jays don’t even have that.

9. Jonny 5 - Jan 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM

My township just installed a brand new turf field for the kids to play Soccer, Lacrosse, Field hockey, etc.. it actually has come a long way recently. It’s plush and gives a better cushion than real grass and dirt does. Plus they don’t need to repaint the lines until they play a football game on it, as it was destined for use primarily for the other sports I mentioned above. Big bucks though.

• Tim's Neighbor - Jan 27, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Burns like hell sliding across it and it’s crazy hot. I love the consistency (which is nice playing keeper and the ball doesn’t bounce all crazy).

Bonus: Your kids will be more tired!

10. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 27, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Just put in grass.

• Chris Fiorentino's Rash - Jan 27, 2011 at 1:03 PM

and a hydro water and light system right?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 27, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Why is it everything I say today is refuted by a Fiorentino?

11. Old Gator - Jan 27, 2011 at 6:44 PM

You could replace the surface in the Tropicana Dump with Picasso or Monet paintings and the place would (a) still look like a wart on Goliath’s ass and (b) still be squatting on the graveyard of a slum in a distant land where three quarters of the team’s market has no interest in schlepping to it, only to need antidepressants to make three hours inside of it bearable. Forget resurfacing. Blow it up, use the rubble for landfill to build yet another private residential island in the bay, and build a new retractable roof stadium that doesn’t nauseate on first sight somewhere just east of central Tampa along the I-4 corridor.

12. grasswholesaleturf - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Yes, It’s easy to repair or replace areas of the artificial grass

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5574)