Jan 27, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
Buster Olney tweeted today that the Orioles are only willing to sign Vladimir Guerrero if he “puts himself on a platter.” In that, Olney is thinking a one-year, $2 million contract. This in contrast to the reported $8 millon a year that Guerrero was reportedly seeking earlier this offseason.
And really, the Orioles have the leverage here. While their potential left field bats aren’t stellar, they’re almost certainly willing to leave Luke Scott at the DH slot and go with Felix Pie or whoever rather than pay Vlad a bunch of dough and shift Scott. He’d be nice to have, sure, but he’s not essential. And he certainly won’t push the Orioles into playoff contention or anything.
Meanwhile, there really aren’t any other teams in need of a DH. Some have suggested that Guerrero could go back to Anaheim. Otherwise, though, everyone is more or less set, are they not?
I’d say that you should get used to low dollars in 2011, Vlad.
UPDATE: Rosenthal says the Orioles have made an offer to Guerrero. He thinks it could be in the $3-5 million range. Seems high given that he agrees with me that there really is nowhere else for Guerrero to go.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)