Jan 27, 2011, 1:00 PM EST
Buster Olney tweeted today that the Orioles are only willing to sign Vladimir Guerrero if he “puts himself on a platter.” In that, Olney is thinking a one-year, $2 million contract. This in contrast to the reported $8 millon a year that Guerrero was reportedly seeking earlier this offseason.
And really, the Orioles have the leverage here. While their potential left field bats aren’t stellar, they’re almost certainly willing to leave Luke Scott at the DH slot and go with Felix Pie or whoever rather than pay Vlad a bunch of dough and shift Scott. He’d be nice to have, sure, but he’s not essential. And he certainly won’t push the Orioles into playoff contention or anything.
Meanwhile, there really aren’t any other teams in need of a DH. Some have suggested that Guerrero could go back to Anaheim. Otherwise, though, everyone is more or less set, are they not?
I’d say that you should get used to low dollars in 2011, Vlad.
UPDATE: Rosenthal says the Orioles have made an offer to Guerrero. He thinks it could be in the $3-5 million range. Seems high given that he agrees with me that there really is nowhere else for Guerrero to go.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)