Wait people do actually think Cashman is trying to get himself fired?

Jan 27, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT

Brian Cashman

My “Brian Cashman is trying to get himself fired” comment from yesterday was meant as a joke. Not a good one — a bit too dry; I think I told it better on Twitter before repurposing it for the post — but I don’t honestly think that the man is trying to get canned.

My real issue was that because of the other stuff that has happened lately — and because of how easy it is to turn a couple of data points of oddness into some big b.s. trend — eventually someone was going to make that sort of connection.  Someone would list the random things like Cashman scaling down a building, losing out on Cliff Lee, hating the Rafael Soriano deal and all of that, and draw some distraction-inducing conclusion from it.

And someone did. Lupica, natch:

And there are people in baseball who wonder if Cashman has begun moving toward the door, if he really does want to go somewhere else and show the whole world that he is more a general manager than a money manager, that he doesn’t need to spend $200 million a year to build winning baseball teams.

Look at the wild, weird baseball winter Cashman has had already …

Then, as I suspected someone would, Lupica cites the highlights of Cashman’s winter, throws in extended recitation of that “Seinfeld” episode in which George tried to get fired by the Yankees and voila, Questions Have Been Raised.

And maybe it doesn’t matter because it’s just Lupica and that’s what he does. But a few days ago Brian Cashman said that dealing with the media garbage is the hardest part of his job.  I presume this is the stuff he’s talking about. How nothing can be taken at face value. It all has to mean something. I don’t blame him for chafing at it. I know it’s silly to base your moves off of what the media might do, but I did kind of wish that Cashman wasn’t fueling the haters’ fire.

I know this is going to sound silly coming from someone who posts 20 times a day about all manner of unimportant topics, but sometimes things don’t demand a grand unification theory.  Things just happen.  Maybe they’re worth a few sentences on a blog here and there, but a full-blown 750-word column lends itself to grander explanations.  Oftentimes ones that are purely illusionary.

1. baseballstars - Jan 27, 2011 at 2:34 PM

No way he wants to leave the Yankees. His mediocre track record wouldn’t work for most winning teams.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 27, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Name one person who has a better, longer track record than Cashman? Theo was the first challenger, did well, but has had just as many failures as successes (the 192693693 different SS’s the last years can attest). Then came Jack Z, but the Mariners seem to be getting worse. Now AA is the next big thing, but who knows what’ll happen in a few years.

2. BC - Jan 27, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Lupica is a chipwich.
    Having gotten that out of the way… the theory holds some water. If the Yankees either do a Round 1 flameout in the playoffs or don’t make the playoffs, Cashman is gone, on or off his own volition. Perhaps Girardi as well.
    You heard it here first.
    Thanks for staying with us for ‘Breaking News’….. Now…. back to more ‘Judge Judy’…..

• baseballstars - Jan 27, 2011 at 2:50 PM

I actually agree. If the Yankees fail to make the playoffs, Cashman is gone for sure and Girardi may also get his walking papers (they’ll probably put it in his black notebook just to make sure he got the message). If they make the playoffs and promptly exit, Cashman is probably gone. If they make the ALCS, he might stay.

3. Jonny 5 - Jan 27, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Maybe he just wants to bank what he’s made so far, and become a bartender and have hot drunk girls flirt with him all night? I mean that isn’t so bad when you think about it.

• BC - Jan 27, 2011 at 4:17 PM

If I could swing that, I’d be in favor of it. ;-)

• bigharold - Jan 28, 2011 at 1:55 AM

“…and become a bartender and have hot drunk girls flirt with him all night? I mean that isn’t so bad when you think about it.”

That’s what I thought until I got bounced out of college. Something about drinking and chasing girls to the wee hours seemed more worthwhile than making AM classes. In retrospect it wasn’t all that bad and might have worked had I figured out how to schedule all my classes for the afternoon.

Of course there is a great big difference between Cashman getting fired for not delivering the WS, if that’s the case, than positioning himself to bail out. Like most other endeavorers in life a baseball GM will have a better chance getting a job if he has one, .. not if he’s recently been canned for poor performance so I don’t put too much stock into Lupica’s thesis.

P.S. If Lupica is writing about the Yankees he’s only doing it to extend his blood feud with George Steinbrenner, (even though George is dead). I’ve always wondered just how Steinbrenner insulted that he can’t let go. Perhaps he mistook him for a busboy at some press conference 25 years ago and told him to refill the water pitcher or something.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 28, 2011 at 7:30 AM

The difference though Harold. Cash isn’t in college. And he doesn’t have to worry about money. Probably could retire today actually. I’m not saying that’s what he’s doing, Just what I’d do if i were him.. LOL! He’s looking kinda stressed out lately..

4. jh0088 - Jan 27, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Cudos Craig for being the scientist who, but merely observing the experiment, affects the outcome of said experiment.

Most likely, Lupica read your post or tweet where you wondered if someone would write a story about Cashman wanting to get fired. He thought to himself, ‘hey, that’s a pretty good angle, let me bang out a thousand words about this.”

Your speculation of the story most likely led to the story. It’s classic chicken/egg.

• jh0088 - Jan 27, 2011 at 3:08 PM

i really need to re-read my posts before I send them out there. way too many typos.. “but merely…?” What a dumb ass.

5. thinman61 - Jan 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Agree wholeheartedly with BC about Lupica being a chipwich.

That out of the way, although as a Sox fan I’d love to see all kinds of mayhem and bad blood taking place in the Yankee front office, I fear such interpretations are wildly overblown. Here’s a different take on what’s going on, from the good people at River Avenue Blues (one of the saner corners of the rivalry’s dark side).

6. bafong - Jan 28, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Maybe Brian has secretly been replaced by George Costanza. Lets see if he gets out a Babe Ruth uniform and drags the championship trophy around

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey