Jan 28, 2011, 8:36 AM EDT
Usually when a public figure gets into legal trouble he makes for the bunker and doesn’t give any comments. Adam Kennedy, however, decided that talking about his DUI arrest Wednesday night was the best policy:
In a phone interview with The Associated Press on Thursday afternoon, Kennedy said he was leaving dinner with some friends around 8 p.m. on Wednesday night. He said he was originally pulled over for speeding, which turned into a DUI arrest.
Kennedy said he was slightly above the legal limit, but that it was “not acceptable to be driving in that situation.”
“It’s not a great way to start off with a new organization,” he said.
Especially a new organization that already has the best defensive shortstop of 2010 penciled in as a second baseman and whose top prospect is a middle infielder as well.
Kennedy said that GM Jack Zduriencik told him his DUI was “unacceptable.” There’s no sense what, if anything, Zduriencik is going to do about it. Given that Milton Bradley was arrested for making threats of death and/or seriously bodily harm to someone and was told that he could still come to camp and compete for a starting job this year, you have to figure that it will only be baseball considerations, not moral ones, that will dictate whether Kennedy stays with the Mariners.
*And yes, I had a pic of Ian Kennedy in this post when it first went up. In my defense, they all look alike to me.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 10
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)