Jan 28, 2011, 8:36 AM EDT
Usually when a public figure gets into legal trouble he makes for the bunker and doesn’t give any comments. Adam Kennedy, however, decided that talking about his DUI arrest Wednesday night was the best policy:
In a phone interview with The Associated Press on Thursday afternoon, Kennedy said he was leaving dinner with some friends around 8 p.m. on Wednesday night. He said he was originally pulled over for speeding, which turned into a DUI arrest.
Kennedy said he was slightly above the legal limit, but that it was “not acceptable to be driving in that situation.”
“It’s not a great way to start off with a new organization,” he said.
Especially a new organization that already has the best defensive shortstop of 2010 penciled in as a second baseman and whose top prospect is a middle infielder as well.
Kennedy said that GM Jack Zduriencik told him his DUI was “unacceptable.” There’s no sense what, if anything, Zduriencik is going to do about it. Given that Milton Bradley was arrested for making threats of death and/or seriously bodily harm to someone and was told that he could still come to camp and compete for a starting job this year, you have to figure that it will only be baseball considerations, not moral ones, that will dictate whether Kennedy stays with the Mariners.
*And yes, I had a pic of Ian Kennedy in this post when it first went up. In my defense, they all look alike to me.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 6
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 42
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)