Jan 28, 2011, 8:36 AM EDT
Usually when a public figure gets into legal trouble he makes for the bunker and doesn’t give any comments. Adam Kennedy, however, decided that talking about his DUI arrest Wednesday night was the best policy:
In a phone interview with The Associated Press on Thursday afternoon, Kennedy said he was leaving dinner with some friends around 8 p.m. on Wednesday night. He said he was originally pulled over for speeding, which turned into a DUI arrest.
Kennedy said he was slightly above the legal limit, but that it was “not acceptable to be driving in that situation.”
“It’s not a great way to start off with a new organization,” he said.
Especially a new organization that already has the best defensive shortstop of 2010 penciled in as a second baseman and whose top prospect is a middle infielder as well.
Kennedy said that GM Jack Zduriencik told him his DUI was “unacceptable.” There’s no sense what, if anything, Zduriencik is going to do about it. Given that Milton Bradley was arrested for making threats of death and/or seriously bodily harm to someone and was told that he could still come to camp and compete for a starting job this year, you have to figure that it will only be baseball considerations, not moral ones, that will dictate whether Kennedy stays with the Mariners.
*And yes, I had a pic of Ian Kennedy in this post when it first went up. In my defense, they all look alike to me.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 17
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 9
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 24
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 60
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)