Jan 28, 2011, 8:36 AM EDT
Usually when a public figure gets into legal trouble he makes for the bunker and doesn’t give any comments. Adam Kennedy, however, decided that talking about his DUI arrest Wednesday night was the best policy:
In a phone interview with The Associated Press on Thursday afternoon, Kennedy said he was leaving dinner with some friends around 8 p.m. on Wednesday night. He said he was originally pulled over for speeding, which turned into a DUI arrest.
Kennedy said he was slightly above the legal limit, but that it was “not acceptable to be driving in that situation.”
“It’s not a great way to start off with a new organization,” he said.
Especially a new organization that already has the best defensive shortstop of 2010 penciled in as a second baseman and whose top prospect is a middle infielder as well.
Kennedy said that GM Jack Zduriencik told him his DUI was “unacceptable.” There’s no sense what, if anything, Zduriencik is going to do about it. Given that Milton Bradley was arrested for making threats of death and/or seriously bodily harm to someone and was told that he could still come to camp and compete for a starting job this year, you have to figure that it will only be baseball considerations, not moral ones, that will dictate whether Kennedy stays with the Mariners.
*And yes, I had a pic of Ian Kennedy in this post when it first went up. In my defense, they all look alike to me.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)