Jan 28, 2011, 8:36 AM EDT
Usually when a public figure gets into legal trouble he makes for the bunker and doesn’t give any comments. Adam Kennedy, however, decided that talking about his DUI arrest Wednesday night was the best policy:
In a phone interview with The Associated Press on Thursday afternoon, Kennedy said he was leaving dinner with some friends around 8 p.m. on Wednesday night. He said he was originally pulled over for speeding, which turned into a DUI arrest.
Kennedy said he was slightly above the legal limit, but that it was “not acceptable to be driving in that situation.”
“It’s not a great way to start off with a new organization,” he said.
Especially a new organization that already has the best defensive shortstop of 2010 penciled in as a second baseman and whose top prospect is a middle infielder as well.
Kennedy said that GM Jack Zduriencik told him his DUI was “unacceptable.” There’s no sense what, if anything, Zduriencik is going to do about it. Given that Milton Bradley was arrested for making threats of death and/or seriously bodily harm to someone and was told that he could still come to camp and compete for a starting job this year, you have to figure that it will only be baseball considerations, not moral ones, that will dictate whether Kennedy stays with the Mariners.
*And yes, I had a pic of Ian Kennedy in this post when it first went up. In my defense, they all look alike to me.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)