Adam Kennedy talks about his DUI

Jan 28, 2011, 8:36 AM EDT

Adam Kennedy, Chris Denorfia

Usually when a public figure gets into legal trouble he makes for the bunker and doesn’t give any comments.  Adam Kennedy, however, decided that talking about his DUI arrest Wednesday night was the best policy:

In a phone interview with The Associated Press on Thursday afternoon, Kennedy said he was leaving dinner with some friends around 8 p.m. on Wednesday night. He said he was originally pulled over for speeding, which turned into a DUI arrest.

Kennedy said he was slightly above the legal limit, but that it was “not acceptable to be driving in that situation.”

“It’s not a great way to start off with a new organization,” he said.

Especially a new organization that already has the best defensive shortstop of 2010 penciled in as a second baseman and whose top prospect is a middle infielder as well.

Kennedy said that GM Jack Zduriencik told him his DUI was “unacceptable.”  There’s no sense what, if anything, Zduriencik is going to do about it.  Given that Milton Bradley was arrested for making threats of death and/or seriously bodily harm to someone and was told that he could still come to camp and compete for a starting job this year, you have to figure that it will only be baseball considerations, not moral ones, that will dictate whether Kennedy stays with the Mariners.

*And yes, I had a pic of Ian Kennedy in this post when it first went up.  In my defense, they all look alike to me.

1. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Jan 28, 2011 at 9:05 AM

So Kennedy was drunk and speeding. What a great combination!

2. phukyouk - Jan 28, 2011 at 9:13 AM

“*And yes, I had a pic of Ian Kennedy in this post when it first went up. In my defense, they all look alike to me.”

they meaning Keneddy’s or Baseball players?

3. BC - Jan 28, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Not great judgement to say the least. But somehow I respect someone who just immediately says, “Hey, I screwed up badly”. Luckily no one was hurt.

4. yankeesfanlen - Jan 28, 2011 at 10:16 AM

He should have signed with the Tigers.

5. sdelmonte - Jan 28, 2011 at 10:38 AM

The thing about DUI is that it might be stupid and dangerous but it isn’t unique to any line of work. He screwed up, he should face the penalties, and move on, like anyone else who gets arrested for the same thing. Last I checked, people don’t usually get fired for this if it didn’t go beyond just the DUI arrest.

6. paperlions - Jan 28, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I am not defending anyone for driving under the influence; however, in general, it is more dangerous to be talking on the phone or over the age of 75 and driving than it is to have a BAC level of .10 or less. Again, not defending anyone or justifying behavior, just pointing out that many commonly accepted driving practices are at least as dangerous as what Kennedy was doing.

7. shawnuel - Jan 28, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Craig….that last paragraph is full of intellectual dishonesty. Zduriencik is saying everything he can say until there is an actual indictment. Once he has collected all the facts, if he still lets Bradley compete for a job, THEN you can rake him over the coals all you want. Heck you can now, it just makes you look disingenuous, especially in light of your particularly ill-informed, slanted comments about the Josh Lueke situation a few weeks ago.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jan 28, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Is it not fair to speculate whether an NRI who just got a DUI is going to still be invited to spring training? Is not accurate to note that a week ago a teammate was arrested for an even more serious crime and has been told that he still has a shot at a job?

• BC - Jan 28, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Nothing in employment life is fair. However, baseball has guaranteed contracts. My employer is an at-will employer. I get popped for DUI, or picking my nose or spitting on the sidewalk, and my employer decides I’m gone, then I’m gone, see ya (apologies to Michael Kay). Baseball, not so much. You owe a dude $30 million (hypothetically), c’mon man, you have to try to get some utility out of that unless he goes completely Steve Howe on you.
        Not endorsing the act. At all. But at the end of the day it’s a business. Somewhat sad in a way, but as Walter Cronkite would put it, that’s the way it is.

8. Old Gator - Jan 28, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Speaking of Steve Howe, what finally became of that guy? He was bad news – he just had to look at something and it began to come apart.

All the trade deadline news to know