Brian Wilson was very Brian Wilson on “The George Lopez Show” last night

Jan 28, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT

San Francisco Giants Victory Parade Getty Images

Brian Wilson was on “The George Lopez Show” last night.  Check it out for yourself.  I think the less I say about it the better.  Just know that the fact that he’s dressed up in sea captain’s gear and has dyed his beard gray is the most normal part of it all.

And if you think I’m going to touch the comments about Thai massage parlors or “dry humping,” then you’re sadly mistaken my friend.

But really, thank God for Brian Wilson.

1. BC - Jan 28, 2011 at 9:41 AM

This guy is a couple tacos shy of a combination plate.

2. loungefly74 - Jan 28, 2011 at 9:48 AM

“But really, thank God for Brian Wilson.”

Amen to that! Funny guys are great for sports…even better when they win.

3. pkswally024 - Jan 28, 2011 at 10:01 AM

That was awesome! Funny stuff. Go phills!

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 28, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I thank God for Brian Wilson, Fridays, baseball, and last but not least, rub n tugs.

5. rsnorth - Jan 28, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Bill Spaceman Lee reincarnated. And he isn’t even left-handed.

6. billtpa - Jan 28, 2011 at 10:24 AM

So a comedian interviews a professional athlete, and one of them is vapid and dull and the other one is very, very funny. What’s so odd about that?

Oh. Right. Carry on.

7. ThatGuy - Jan 28, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Seems like he is trying to be Zack Galifankikaksikiskias in his skits Between Two Ferns.

8. Jonny 5 - Jan 28, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I like Brian Wilson now. I guess I’m over the unfortunate chain of events during last post season.

The most awesome part for me was his use of a Motorola 8000x. Brian Wilson just moved up 10 notches on the awesome meter imo. The only Phone that also served as a personal protection device.

9. apbaguy - Jan 28, 2011 at 11:40 AM

The Giants sort of collect guys who are a bit off the MLB norm (Zito, Lincecum, etc.). One thing these guys have in common though is their work ethic. Even Sandoval, between mouthfuls, has a rigorous off-season program he sticks to. Although I’m sure if you asked him, he’d tell you that plate of quatro enchiladas con puerco asado en salsa verde as his post workout snack is his way of expressing his individuality. Wilson’s a workout fanatic, and that rubbed off on the other Giants relievers. As a group they were still fresh going into the offseason, helped along of course by the relative lack of stress due to the starters working deeper into games.

10. levistahl - Jan 28, 2011 at 1:02 PM

The “dry hump” thing must actually be a pretty common term, as Wilson claims. It’s how Steve Kline referred to the same situation a few years back after that game when he flipped off Tony LaRussa from the bullpen.

Man, I love Brian Wilson.

11. feartherallythong - Jan 28, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Ya know, as a 40+ year Giants fan, Wilson was one on my least favorites on the World Championship team. My take on him was that the eccentric bit was contrived, and he was working WAY too hard to appear like a crazy, but funny guy.

After watching that clip, I take back every bad thing I thought about him – except for “the Machine” – that bit has to be excised from his repertoire. He actually is a comic genius. A cross between Joaquin Phoenix in his rapper phase, and Andy Kaufman…

And did anyone else notice how Lopez had NO IDEA about the Machine – he kept trying to reference Pulp Fiction… Sheesh…

12. Dug - Jan 29, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Love the Dodgers. Hate the Giants. Love Brian Wilson.

His screen presence and delivery rival Payton Manning’s. Both should get sit-coms. Perhaps the same one.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3299)