ESPN reveals their commentator teams

Jan 28, 2011, 5:02 PM EST

old TV

For those of you who care deeply about the announcers of the national games, ESPN has announced their Monday night and Wednesday night baseball teams: Sean McDonough, Aaron Boone and Rick Sutcliffe will handle Mondays and Dave O’Brien and Nomar Garciaparra will do Wednesdays.

The good news here is McDonough, who I like an awful lot.  And while I’m generally opposed to three-man booths, any move that limits the amount of space Rick Sutcliffe feels he needs to fill is welcome.

O’Brien is pretty good himself.  For the life of me I can’t remember Garciaparra’s commentary at all last year, though apparently he sat in on a few games with the O’Brien-Sutcliffe team.  I guess the fact that I don’t remember him bodes well. If he was truly memorable, he probably wasn’t doing his job of enhancing, as opposed to disrupting the natural flow of a baseball game.

1. Jack Marshall - Jan 28, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Sutcliffe? SUTCLIFFE??? ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

2. hermitfool - Jan 28, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Rick Sutcliffe may be the only commentator dumber than Joe Morgan, but he’s even worse because he brays. Joe’s inane comments were at least spoken in a well-modulated voice, over and over and over.

3. thegoche - Jan 28, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Would have loved to see Jon Sciambi get one of their big spots. Boog terrific with the Braves.

4. baseballstars - Jan 28, 2011 at 7:53 PM

If there is a God in heaven, Rick Sutcliffe will not be allowed near a microphone ever again. As much as I don’t like Joe Buck and Tim McCarver, Sutcliffe is the worst. I have to mute the television when he’s announcing, usually synchronizing the game with something more pleasant, like Badgers Badgers Badgers on a loop.

5. pisano - Jan 28, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Sutcliffe is the worst,all this jerk-off wants to do is talk about his past.He wasn’t worth a crap then and he’s worse now. I’ll never watch or listen to a game he announces or commentates on.

6. cup0pizza - Jan 28, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Nomad does a good job.

7. Ari Collins - Jan 28, 2011 at 10:49 PM

As a long-time Boston fan, McDonough and O’Brien are excellent.

Sutcliffe is as bad as everyone says, but hopefully he’ll be fairly quiet in a 3-man booth.

I don’t really remember Nomah either, and agree that that’s generally a compliment.

8. Kevin S. - Jan 28, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Eh, I remember Nomar having a really herky delivery. Hopefully that’s just something that gets worked out with time.

• Ari Collins - Jan 29, 2011 at 1:07 AM

He has to adjust his microphone between each word.

• Kevin S. - Jan 29, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Nice.

• Ari Collins - Jan 29, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Thanks.

9. dansullivan82 - Jan 29, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Im not sure I’ll be able to watch a game without Joe Morgan telling me how great he was.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4049)