Hal Steinbrenner: the Brian Cashman stuff is “a bunch of drummed-up drama”

Jan 28, 2011, 6:24 AM EST

Hal Steinbrenner

Joel Sherman of the New York Post has an exclusive interview with Hal Steinbrenner this morning. The unequivocal upshot: there is no rift between Brian Cashman and the Yankees’ top brass:

“[Cashman] and I have a great working relationship.  There is no problem, right now. I think we have had a bunch of drummed-up drama.”

The public sparring with Derek Jeter?  Steinbrenner says that he — not Cashman — wrote the statement critical of Jeter that Cashman gave following Casey Close’s comments describing the team’s negotiating stance being “baffling.”  Cashman’s dissension from ownership following the Rafael Soriano signing? No biggie:

“I keep reading about dissension and discord. We are a well-functioning company. The bosses have a decision to make. Sometimes people don’t agree with those decisions. So I told him, ‘You are always honest with the media, be honest now. Tell them what you have to tell them.’ I was already onto the next decision. I told him, ‘You and I are fine. Answer in any way you want.'”

Steinbrenner says that “there are no problems at all” between he and Cashman and that it  “has been a very good relationship.”  He says that, while it’s too early to discuss a contract extension, he would very much like Cashman back after his deal is up this fall.

One would assume that this should put all of the Brian Cashman criticism and speculation to rest.  But given that the criticism and speculation was unreasonable to begin with, maybe it won’t.

1. bafong - Jan 28, 2011 at 8:09 AM

So he really isn’t George Costanza?

• billybeaneismyhero - Jan 28, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I declare this, the summer of Cashman!

2. proudlycanadian - Jan 28, 2011 at 9:08 AM

I get the impression that Prince Hal has his head screwed on better than his brother.

• Kevin S. - Jan 28, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Welcome to what Yankee fans figured out approximately three years ago. I know Craig laments the dry spell when Hank was muzzled, but things got much better when it was the Hal and Cash show.

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 28, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Hank is much more fun- kind of like Dwight Schrute in “The Office”. Or maybe Michael Scott.

3. uyf1950 - Jan 28, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Whether you like Cashman or hate him as a Yankee fan continuity if a good thing for baseball team. Sure he’s made some bad trades/deals over his roughly 13 years with the Yankees but what GM hasn’t. Besides with the exception of Gene Michael in the early 90’s you would have to go back quite a ways to find an executive that has brought as much success to the Yankees as Cashman. Of course that’s just my opinion.

• uyf1950 - Jan 28, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Sorry. “if” in the first line of the above comment should have been “is”.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester