Jan 28, 2011, 6:24 AM EDT
Joel Sherman of the New York Post has an exclusive interview with Hal Steinbrenner this morning. The unequivocal upshot: there is no rift between Brian Cashman and the Yankees’ top brass:
“[Cashman] and I have a great working relationship. There is no problem, right now. I think we have had a bunch of drummed-up drama.”
The public sparring with Derek Jeter? Steinbrenner says that he — not Cashman — wrote the statement critical of Jeter that Cashman gave following Casey Close’s comments describing the team’s negotiating stance being “baffling.” Cashman’s dissension from ownership following the Rafael Soriano signing? No biggie:
“I keep reading about dissension and discord. We are a well-functioning company. The bosses have a decision to make. Sometimes people don’t agree with those decisions. So I told him, ‘You are always honest with the media, be honest now. Tell them what you have to tell them.’ I was already onto the next decision. I told him, ‘You and I are fine. Answer in any way you want.’”
Steinbrenner says that “there are no problems at all” between he and Cashman and that it ”has been a very good relationship.” He says that, while it’s too early to discuss a contract extension, he would very much like Cashman back after his deal is up this fall.
One would assume that this should put all of the Brian Cashman criticism and speculation to rest. But given that the criticism and speculation was unreasonable to begin with, maybe it won’t.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?