In which I try to talk intelligently about the 2011 Orioles

Jan 28, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT

Adam Jones, Cesar Izturis, Mike Gonzalez

For reasons that are still not entirely clear to me, I do more guest radio spots on Balitmore’s two sports stations than I do anywhere else in the country.  Until told otherwise, I’ll chalk it up to 1570 WNST and 105.7 The Fan’s wonderful taste.

But whatever the reason, my Baltimore guest spots have led to a lot of people emailing me questions about the Orioles.  I do my best to answer them — and I must say, I’ve enjoyed talking to Orioles fans an awful lot — but really, there are tons of people who know more about the Orioles than I do. I try to keep up as best I can, but you’re better off going to a good Orioles blog or the pages of the Baltimore Sun if you want anything approaching in depth analysis.

But that doesn’t stop me from opining all the same! And a few days ago Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune, Scott Miller of CBS Sports.com and I were asked to answer some questions about the Orioles by the Baltimore Sports and Life blog.  The results are here.  It was fun.

But please, serious Orioles fans: try not to beat me up too hard over my relative ignorance. I tried my best.

1. BC - Jan 28, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Those orange uniforms HAVE to go! Holy bleep, they look like something my cat vomited up.

• Jeremiah Graves - Jan 28, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I totally get wanting to rock a different uniform, but what is the deal with going orange from top-to-bottom?!

Maybe ease into that stuff, an orange top and black pants or something, but you just can’t go all-in on something that…orange.

• BC - Jan 28, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Agree. It’d be better if they did something totally out there – like orange shirts and purple pants.
        HEY! I have an idea! Instead of “Throwback Day” uniforms, what if we had “Tacky Day” uniforms? The possibilities are endless….

• Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Jan 28, 2011 at 11:39 AM

What if they had Orange pinstripe uniforms? Orange with black stripes or vice-versa? I would buy one of those off MLB.com the second they were released.

2. lessick - Jan 28, 2011 at 9:42 AM

It’s not a regular uniform–it was a throwback night where they wore a uniform that they wore only three times in 1971.

Buck Showalter said it would be the last time they ever do that again. Bottom line–it was a one-night equivalent of a leisure suit party.

3. billybeaneismyhero - Jan 28, 2011 at 10:09 AM

The Orioles have fans? Every time I go to Camden Yards, Yankee and Red Sox fans dominate the park…

4. Panda Claus - Jan 28, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Craig,
    I listen to 105.7 all the time, but have never heard you on there. Would probably guess you’ve been on more in the evening than during drive-time, or else I should’ve caught at least one of your appearances. Maybe you should do what Florio does/used to do, and that is to have a link with your up-coming appearances.

On the topic of how you did in the interview, I think you played it straight down the middle and laid up on the green. Not that you should have done differently. The two main camps of fans that I’ve noticed is for those going overboard and expecting big improvements, and for the others to simply say the O’s still stink and will never contend in the AL East. No surprise I’m in the first group, but admit a lot of their success this year will rest on the young staff and on how well many of their players come back from injuries.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jan 28, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I usually do Ken Weinman’s show. And in fact, I’ll be on around 7:30PM this evening.

• andrewf16 - Jan 28, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Good – Ken Weinman is one of the better guys on the station, and a huge O’s guy to boot (but certainly not someone who’s going to cut them any slack).

• Panda Claus - Jan 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Drat. That station is in my listening range during commutes, but not usually at my house. Wonder if they podcast–might look into that.

5. Jonny 5 - Jan 28, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Seriously, they look like the all convict team in that orange. Either that or they’ll be joining Dick Cheney on a hunt.

6. randomdigits - Jan 28, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Don’t worry Craig, I don’t go to you for in depth analysis of the Orioles.

7. baseballstars - Jan 28, 2011 at 8:17 PM

I actually like the jerseys in that picture.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4960)