Jan 28, 2011, 8:38 PM EST
During an appearance with the Twins’ annual Winter Caravan earlier this week, Joe Mauer told FOX Sports 9 in Minnesota that he “should be OK” for spring training after undergoing minor surgery on his left knee in December.
Seemed innocent enough at the time, but that one Tweet was still enough to send some fans into a small tizzy. Well, Mauer cleared the air today.
According to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Mauer said he is recovering well from the surgery. He’ll be ready when camp opens on February 17, but much like his teammates Justin Morneau and Joe Nathan, his focus is Opening Day against the Blue Jays on April 1.
“I’m still trying to strengthen my legs and just get in shape. … I’m trying to take it like I’m getting ready for April 1.”
See? Nothing to worry about here.
Mauer, who turns 28 in April, batted .327/.402/.469 with nine home runs, 75 RBI, an .871 OPS and a 53/65 K/BB ratio over 584 plate appearances last season.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 111
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 41
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (114)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)