Jan 28, 2011, 8:38 PM EST
During an appearance with the Twins’ annual Winter Caravan earlier this week, Joe Mauer told FOX Sports 9 in Minnesota that he “should be OK” for spring training after undergoing minor surgery on his left knee in December.
Seemed innocent enough at the time, but that one Tweet was still enough to send some fans into a small tizzy. Well, Mauer cleared the air today.
According to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Mauer said he is recovering well from the surgery. He’ll be ready when camp opens on February 17, but much like his teammates Justin Morneau and Joe Nathan, his focus is Opening Day against the Blue Jays on April 1.
“I’m still trying to strengthen my legs and just get in shape. … I’m trying to take it like I’m getting ready for April 1.”
See? Nothing to worry about here.
Mauer, who turns 28 in April, batted .327/.402/.469 with nine home runs, 75 RBI, an .871 OPS and a 53/65 K/BB ratio over 584 plate appearances last season.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (90)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)