Jan 28, 2011, 8:38 PM EDT
During an appearance with the Twins’ annual Winter Caravan earlier this week, Joe Mauer told FOX Sports 9 in Minnesota that he “should be OK” for spring training after undergoing minor surgery on his left knee in December.
Seemed innocent enough at the time, but that one Tweet was still enough to send some fans into a small tizzy. Well, Mauer cleared the air today.
According to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Mauer said he is recovering well from the surgery. He’ll be ready when camp opens on February 17, but much like his teammates Justin Morneau and Joe Nathan, his focus is Opening Day against the Blue Jays on April 1.
“I’m still trying to strengthen my legs and just get in shape. … I’m trying to take it like I’m getting ready for April 1.”
See? Nothing to worry about here.
Mauer, who turns 28 in April, batted .327/.402/.469 with nine home runs, 75 RBI, an .871 OPS and a 53/65 K/BB ratio over 584 plate appearances last season.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 13
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)