Jan 28, 2011, 8:38 PM EDT
During an appearance with the Twins’ annual Winter Caravan earlier this week, Joe Mauer told FOX Sports 9 in Minnesota that he “should be OK” for spring training after undergoing minor surgery on his left knee in December.
Seemed innocent enough at the time, but that one Tweet was still enough to send some fans into a small tizzy. Well, Mauer cleared the air today.
According to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Mauer said he is recovering well from the surgery. He’ll be ready when camp opens on February 17, but much like his teammates Justin Morneau and Joe Nathan, his focus is Opening Day against the Blue Jays on April 1.
“I’m still trying to strengthen my legs and just get in shape. … I’m trying to take it like I’m getting ready for April 1.”
See? Nothing to worry about here.
Mauer, who turns 28 in April, batted .327/.402/.469 with nine home runs, 75 RBI, an .871 OPS and a 53/65 K/BB ratio over 584 plate appearances last season.
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 129
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (131)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (101)