Jan 28, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Texas acquiring Mike Napoli from the Blue Jays earlier this week restarted all the “will the Rangers trade Michael Young?” speculation that had died down since peaking last month, but while speaking at a minor-league event yesterday team president Nolan Ryan made it pretty clear that Young won’t be traded.
Ryan explained that Young “is going to be our designated hitter on Opening Day” and also noted that he expects about 80 percent of Young’s starts to come at DH, which is surprising given that the Rangers would presumably be better defensively with Napoli at DH and Young at first base on days when they’re in the lineup and Mitch Moreland isn’t.
Ryan stressed how valuable Young’s versatility will be for the Rangers, saying: “There’s no other team that has someone of that magnitude that can play that kind of role.” However, if 80 percent of his playing time is going to come at DH and they’re not going to use him at first base instead of the defensively challenged Napoli, the versatility would seemingly be mostly wasted.
Whatever the case it once again looks likely that Young (and the $48 million remaining on his contract) will begin the season in Texas and if he’s not traded before mid-May his 10-and-5 rights will give him the ability to veto any deals.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 37
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)