Jan 28, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Texas acquiring Mike Napoli from the Blue Jays earlier this week restarted all the “will the Rangers trade Michael Young?” speculation that had died down since peaking last month, but while speaking at a minor-league event yesterday team president Nolan Ryan made it pretty clear that Young won’t be traded.
Ryan explained that Young “is going to be our designated hitter on Opening Day” and also noted that he expects about 80 percent of Young’s starts to come at DH, which is surprising given that the Rangers would presumably be better defensively with Napoli at DH and Young at first base on days when they’re in the lineup and Mitch Moreland isn’t.
Ryan stressed how valuable Young’s versatility will be for the Rangers, saying: “There’s no other team that has someone of that magnitude that can play that kind of role.” However, if 80 percent of his playing time is going to come at DH and they’re not going to use him at first base instead of the defensively challenged Napoli, the versatility would seemingly be mostly wasted.
Whatever the case it once again looks likely that Young (and the $48 million remaining on his contract) will begin the season in Texas and if he’s not traded before mid-May his 10-and-5 rights will give him the ability to veto any deals.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)