Jan 28, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Texas acquiring Mike Napoli from the Blue Jays earlier this week restarted all the “will the Rangers trade Michael Young?” speculation that had died down since peaking last month, but while speaking at a minor-league event yesterday team president Nolan Ryan made it pretty clear that Young won’t be traded.
Ryan explained that Young “is going to be our designated hitter on Opening Day” and also noted that he expects about 80 percent of Young’s starts to come at DH, which is surprising given that the Rangers would presumably be better defensively with Napoli at DH and Young at first base on days when they’re in the lineup and Mitch Moreland isn’t.
Ryan stressed how valuable Young’s versatility will be for the Rangers, saying: “There’s no other team that has someone of that magnitude that can play that kind of role.” However, if 80 percent of his playing time is going to come at DH and they’re not going to use him at first base instead of the defensively challenged Napoli, the versatility would seemingly be mostly wasted.
Whatever the case it once again looks likely that Young (and the $48 million remaining on his contract) will begin the season in Texas and if he’s not traded before mid-May his 10-and-5 rights will give him the ability to veto any deals.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 60
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 48
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 113
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)