Jan 28, 2011, 4:40 PM EST
Today the Rays added another reliever to the mix for their rebuilt bullpen, claimining right-hander Rob Delaney off waivers from the Twins.
Minnesota designated Delaney for assignment earlier this week to make room on the 40-man roster for left-hander Dusty Hughes, who’s older and has a significantly less impressive minor-league track record, but did spend most of last season in Kansas City’s bullpen.
Delaney has pitched well in two seasons at Triple-A with a 130/38 K/BB ratio in 128 innings, but his ERA there is an unremarkable 4.65 thanks to serving up 17 long balls. As a fly-ball pitcher with so-so raw stuff Delaney has little room for error and having only a cup of coffee in the majors at age 26 shows that the Twins viewed him skeptically.
However, he’s racked up lots of strikeouts with a repertoire headed by a low-90s fastball and has very good control with just 1.9 walks per nine innings. His upside is likely middle reliever and flopping is very possible, but he’s capable of being a solid contributor and he should get a legitimate opportunity in Tampa Bay.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)