Some Giants fans want to fly airplanes with banners above Dodger Stadium for some reason

Jan 28, 2011, 12:28 PM EST

Giants fans Believe

Fight Club was the beginning. Now it’s out of the basements and and there’s a name for it:  Project Mayhem:

As most of you die hard fans know, The World Champion San Francisco Giants open up Major League Baseball play at Chavez Ravine in Los Angeles. In this hostile environment The World Champion San Francisco Giants will need the support of The World Champion San Francisco Giant’s Faithful. The plan is to fly a banner 3 miles above Chavez Ravine that says, “Giants 2010 Champs: BEAT LA”. This banner will fly in Los Angeles for the Thursday, Saturday and Sunday games for an hour and 20 minutes. It is a great way to pay tribute to The World Champion San Francisco Giants while giving the other organization a taste of what it is like to be World Series Champions: something they haven’t tasted since 1988.

They’re looking to raise $8,000 to pull this off.  They’re 38% of the way there as this post goes up.  If you can’t think of anything better to do with your money, Giants fans, feel free to donate.  But before you donate, please: think really, really hard if there’s not anything better to do with your money.  I’m not one to judge, but I’m guessing that there may be.

1. clydeserra - Jan 28, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Please, please take Craigs advice. Buying a bottle of night train for a homeless guy is a way better use of money.

2. billybeaneismyhero - Jan 28, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Simply douchetacular–and I thought fans of the Yankees and Red Sox were a-holes. It’s kinda funny, but it’s still pretty douchy.

• larryhockett - Jan 28, 2011 at 1:35 PM

“Douchetacular” will henceforth enter my lexicon forever more.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Jan 28, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Here’s one Philly fan who is STILL waiting for Craig’s first “San Francisco fans are insecure” blog post. All we have heard since the 2010 Worls Series ended was how the Giants are getting no respect. How they dominated the Phillies(even though the run differential for the entire series was +1 to the PHILLIES LOL what domination). About how their rotation, and not the Phillies rotation, should be the one being called “historic”. Even though they have two studs, a walk machine, a guy stealing $18 million a year, and a guy with exactly 19 career starts and a 2.90 ERA. Yeah, that sounds pretty historic to me. Enjoy the 2010 World Series win, Giants fans. Why do you crave this respect for your team so badly? Your team won. Win with class. Win with style.

So Craig…how bout it. Is it FINALLY time for the “San Francisco fans are insecure” post, especially since they are planning to fly a freaking plane over LA telling everyone how great their 2010 Championship team is??????????

• ceadderman - Jan 28, 2011 at 4:35 PM

What was the NLCSeries outcome again? A +1 Run Differential? Guess you missed the Home stand where the Giants pasted the Philadelphia pitching. Halladay was solid on the mound, but then there was everyone else. lol

• tomemos - Jan 28, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Um, Chris, are you aware that this comment makes you look a wee bit insecure?

4. citynative - Jan 28, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Only $8,000 dollars to rub it in the face of Dodger fans for 3 days . . . something they have done for decades? A bargain! Payback is a _______.

5. citynative - Jan 28, 2011 at 3:04 PM

To Chris Fiorentino,

Your post is laughable.

1) You used “LOL” in a post. Are you a teenage girl?

2) Historic Rotation…. There was span in the season where the Giants pitching staff gave up less than 3 runs for a record-breaking span of games. Fact.

3) The Giants vs. R2C2 in the 2010 playoffs ….. 5-2. Fact.

4) Did you, a fan that roots for a Philadelphia team, just say act with class? Really?

5) Who said the Giants dominated the Phillies? Sounds like you are making stuff up.

Your post should not have the theme of Giants insecurity, rather Phillies bitterness. After all, it was you that came onto to a Giants post, and left a message. Who is insecure? Just like your boy Howard Eskin who came on the Giants radio station in August and said the Giants were not good. Oops. Like Dodger fans, payback is a ___.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jan 28, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Craig, I rest my case.

• CJ - Jan 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM

+2:

One for the obvious.

And an additional -1 to citynative for quoting Eskin like it’s supposed to mean something to anyone from Philly. If anything, Eskin saying the Giants weren’t any good in August should’ve been taken as a compliment.

6. citynative - Jan 28, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Now 2 Phillies fans posting on a Giants article that has nothing to do with the team from Philadelphia. Hmmm…. I rest my case.

• CJ - Jan 28, 2011 at 4:05 PM

if that’s you’re case, I expect to never see any posts from you on any non-Giants posts.

If I could only be so lucky.

7. ceadderman - Jan 28, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I know for a fact there are more than 8,000 Giants fans. Dig in your couch and I bet you can come up with 50 cents to donate to such a great cause. I’ll donate 50 cents to rub the Blue noses in Huff Daddy’s used thong.

BEAT L.A.! BEAT L.A.! BEAT L.A.!

8. tomemos - Jan 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Hey, I’m all in favor of gloating. I’ll be at Dodger Stadium on Opening Day with my World Champions shirt on, no doubt dodging poured beer and flung peanuts. But I think spending fan money on gloating is tacky. Don’t do your gloating with your wallet, with an airplane no less–show up in person to gloat, and take your lumps.

• ceadderman - Jan 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM

I got no problem with that take, but I’m not in California and I’m getting my degree. So taking in a game is not as simple as you think it is. ;)

However you’re gloating with your wallet just the same as those who want to stick it to the Blahdgers with the banner. At least we aren’t going to gun them down in the parking lot while thumbing our noses at them.

It’s been a long time coming, and I don’t mind seeing a banner flying above Chavez while I watch on the DVR.

Viva los Gigantes!!!

9. gregohan - Jan 29, 2011 at 1:01 AM

After watching dodger fans climb up on and defile the Willie Mays statue in front of AT&T park after the dodgers won the 2008 NL west championship in San Francisco, I think this is justified and it’s called I will shove my first with the World Series Ring down your throat….Because I can.

Phillies….You suck why don’t you go back to your fighting Phils blog site so that you can stink like rotten cheesesteaks together and celebrate another start to a season where your investments fail.

I can’t wait to beat Lee, Halliday, Oswalt and Hamel, AGAIN!

Class?

10. koufaxmitzvah - Jan 29, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Seriously sad, Giants fans. You are imploding like Sarah Palin.

11. nytwin81 - Feb 1, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Chris, Giants fans would only be insecure if the national media *did* give the Giants respect but they *still* complained about a lack of respect. There’s nothing wrong with complaining about a lack of respect of (or just plain lack of attention to) the Giants if it’s true. And I think it is. That may be open for debate, but I note that even your comments don’t claim that the national media does respect the Giants.

Your insinuation that responding to your comments is further proof of the insecurity of Giants’ fans imposes a pretty ridiculous catch-22 on us.

As for the plane-at-Dodger-Stadium plan, I’m all for it. Rubbing success in your rival’s face is a big part of what rivalries are all about. Any team with an arch-rival knows that. Since MLB decided to upset the opening day schedule to have the Giants play the Dodgers but then inexplicably put the game in LA (how great, and how deserving, would it have been for the Giants to have opened against the Dodgers at home and raise the WS flag in their presence?), it’s the best we can do.

12. l4sw4g - Feb 16, 2011 at 2:19 AM

I live in SF and I agree Giants fans are the most obnoxious. The fact that so many people in SF are LA haters while people in LA don’t even give a second thought about SF says a lot. So SF – why is LA always on your mind? Giants fans are so pathetic – go ahead enjoy your *one* title (and maybe only World Series title for a LONG time). LA still has 5 World Series titles. Oh BTW, Giants fans, your team is not the one in the Bay Area – the Oakland A’s have won 4 World Series titles – including a sweep of your Giants in 1989 World Series. So Giants fans go ahead and gloat about your only accomplishment. I’ll enjoy watching your Giants not repeat this year.

13. nytwin81 - Feb 16, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Giants fans are the most obnoxious? How so? And relative to whom? I live in New York, and I find Mets fans to be really obnoxious, primarily because they’re convinced that the Mets and the Yankees are the only team that matters even though no one outside of New York cares about the Mets. That’s obnoxious. Rooting hard for your team, and hating your archrival, like Giants fans do, isn’t obnoxious. It’s the mark of a genuine fan.

And yeah, people in LA don’t give a second thought about San Francisco right now–because the Dodgers are terrible. LA fans are CLASSIC fair weather fans, so if their team isn’t doing well, they don’t care about it, or hate its rivals. Just watch and see Dodger fans rediscover their hatred of San Francisco if the Dodgers are ever decent again.

It’s kind of silly to determine a teams’ worth by counting the number of championships it’s won. By that rationale, everyone should love the Steelers and the 49ers (and not the LA . . . oh, wait, LA doesn’t even have a football team), not to mention the Yankees in baseball. Also, even if you do go by that measure, the Giants and Dodgers have an equal number of World Series titles as franchises (and an equal number of NL pennants, too).

Don’t get me started on the ’89 Oakland A’s, whose two top players were total ‘roiders before steroids were a big issue.

I acknowledge that it’ll be hard to repeat. The odds are against any team winning the World Series in any given year (even the Yankees have only done it once in the past ten years with seemingly unbeatable lineups). But we won it in 2010 with one of the best groups of guys any fan base has ever had the privilege of rooting for, and that’s good enough for me.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4929)
  2. M. Kemp (3472)
  3. J. Upton (2576)
  4. J. Kang (2571)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2547)
  1. C. McGehee (2521)