Jan 28, 2011, 12:01 AM EDT
2011 is going to be one big victory lap for Bert Blyleven.
The Twins announced Thursday night at their annual Diamond Awards that they plan to retire his No. 28 during “Bert Blyleven Day” on July 16, prior to a game against the Texas Rangers. Blyleven will be inducted to the Hall of Fame alongside Roberto Alomar and Pat Gillick on July 24.
The press release from the team reads in part:
“2011 is going to be a special year for the Blyleven family, the Twins organization and millions of fans across Twins Territory,” said Twins CEO Jim Pohlad. “As excitement builds for Bert’s induction into the National Baseball Hall of Fame, the Twins organization is proud to bestow our highest honor with the retirement of his jersey – number 28. Bert Blyleven Day is aimed at celebrating Bert’s incredible contributions on and off the field, while also providing he and his family a proper send-off to Cooperstown.”
Blyleven will be the sixth player Twins player to have his number retired, joining Harmon Killebrew, Rod Carew, Tony Oliva, Kent Hrbek and Kirby Puckett.
The No. 28 had been worn by Jesse Crain for the past seven seasons, but he signed a three-year, $13 million contract with the White Sox last month.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)