Jan 28, 2011, 12:01 AM EST
2011 is going to be one big victory lap for Bert Blyleven.
The Twins announced Thursday night at their annual Diamond Awards that they plan to retire his No. 28 during “Bert Blyleven Day” on July 16, prior to a game against the Texas Rangers. Blyleven will be inducted to the Hall of Fame alongside Roberto Alomar and Pat Gillick on July 24.
The press release from the team reads in part:
“2011 is going to be a special year for the Blyleven family, the Twins organization and millions of fans across Twins Territory,” said Twins CEO Jim Pohlad. “As excitement builds for Bert’s induction into the National Baseball Hall of Fame, the Twins organization is proud to bestow our highest honor with the retirement of his jersey – number 28. Bert Blyleven Day is aimed at celebrating Bert’s incredible contributions on and off the field, while also providing he and his family a proper send-off to Cooperstown.”
Blyleven will be the sixth player Twins player to have his number retired, joining Harmon Killebrew, Rod Carew, Tony Oliva, Kent Hrbek and Kirby Puckett.
The No. 28 had been worn by Jesse Crain for the past seven seasons, but he signed a three-year, $13 million contract with the White Sox last month.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)