Albert Pujols would veto any trade

Jan 29, 2011, 8:41 AM EDT

St. Louis Cardinals v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

Some have wondered whether the Cardinals would consider trading Albert Pujols if they are unable to work out a contract extension prior to spring training. Yeah, you can scratch that idea.

Sources tell Buster Olney of ESPN.com that Pujols will not accept any trade proposal. And with his 10 and 5 rights, he has every right to do so. There’s always the chance he could change his mind, but we should probably assume that he’ll be a Cardinal this season no matter what.

This leaves only two real possibilities moving forward. Either the Cardinals will sign Pujols to a massive contract extension sometime in the next three weeks or he will become a free agent after the season. Simple as that. I can’t even imagine what the Cardinals will say to their fans if they can’t get something done.

1. hellmaca - Jan 29, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I am a huge cardinals fan and I would hate to lose Pujols. With that being said, I am trying to get used to the idea of Pujols no longer being a cardinal after 2011. I very much want to keep our core team together besides Pujols (carp, waino, yadi etc). As bad as it sounds I like hearing arguments against keeping Albert even of it’s just for argument’s sake.

2. uyf1950 - Jan 29, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Can you blame Albert for his most recent comment. He’s not complained once over the past couple of years when he has seen inferior players sign contracts for far more than he’s making. Now it’s his turn, and he’s using the only “big” stick he has to get the Cardinals to “belly up to the bar” so to speak. Look he isn’t going to go anywhere. Sure other teams will make a run at him the Cubs probably will be one of those but that’s all going to be for show. Both parties will posture as the deadline gets closer and as his FA gets closer but there is still plenty of time for the Cardinals to get his signature on the dotted line. Look for the final agreement with the Cardinals to be for 8 years and between $28 to $30M per. Probably just short of the $30M per number. Take it to the bank.

• spudchukar - Jan 29, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Probably got a lot of things correct here UYF, but if Albert isn’t signed by the beginning of Spring Training then its a whole new ball game. As you mentioned Phat Albert has been the quintessential good-guy throughout his career, but I am becoming more convinced that he and his agent are ready to take a stand. The numbers you targeted are conventionally believed to be accurate. Let’s face it they are fair, and not inflated. I hope he is willing to defer so part of totals, which would be consistent with the type of guy he has been. Nonetheless, if the Cards are foolish enough to let this go to Free Agency, then I honestly believe he will have become so disenchanted with the organization that he will leave.

• uyf1950 - Jan 29, 2011 at 2:58 PM

spudchukar – you may be right in your assessment of Albert (in your last sentence). I think some of that could be mitigated by how the negotiations go up until spring training. Also keep in mind Pujols doesn’t become a FA until a few days after the World Series ends. Let’s the assume the “so called experts” are correct and Philadelphia is the NL representative that still gives the Cardinals several days if not a couple of weeks to finalize a deal with Pujols before his FA would kick in. Believe me I’m not saying that’s the ideal circumstance but everyone is assuming that if a deal doesn’t get done by spring training FA is inevitable that may not be the case. Just thinking out loud.

3. cintiphil - Jan 29, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Get him out of our division. Best get him out of the NL.

4. trevorb06 - Jan 29, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I’d love to see Pujols sign to the Blue Jays since they have all that extra coin they’ll be saving this year. I know it would never happen, but it’d be nice to see him up against the Yankees and Red Soxs a lot because my hatred for them runs so deep.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5587)