Jan 29, 2011, 5:33 PM EDT
Right on cue, the Blue Jays just announced via their Twitter feed that they have avoided arbitration with reliever Frank Francisco by agreeing to a one-year, $4 million contract.
Francisco, who was acquired from the Blue Jays for Mike Napoli earlier this week, requested $4.875 million and was offered $3.5 million from the Rangers when arbitration figures were exchanged earlier this month, so he ultimately settled for a little below the midpoint. He accepted arbitration from the Rangers in November due to his Type A free agent status.
The 31-year-old Francisco lost his closer job to Neftali Feliz last April and his season was eventually cut short due to a strained muscle in his side, but he still managed to compile a 3.76 ERA and 60/18 K/BB ratio over 52 2/3 innings. He should have the advantage over Octavio Dotel and Jon Rauch for the closer role in Toronto this season.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?