Jan 29, 2011, 2:12 PM EST
For what it’s worth, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reported yesterday that Figgins has not been asked to waive his limited no-trade clause, which includes the Athletics. Of course, no-trade clauses don’t really mean much these days, so that doesn’t mean a deal won’t happen.
10:24 AM: By the way, in his ESPN Insider column this morning, Buster Olney continued to talk about the possibility that there could be a third team involved in trade negotiations, possibly the Blue Jays.
Asked about the rumor on Friday, Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik indicated that he plans to have Chone Figgins on the ballclub on Opening Day (via Greg Johns and Jane Lee of MLB.com).
“I’m looking forward to Figgins being our starting third baseman,” Zduriencik said. “He’ll be here tomorrow [for the Mariners’ FanFest]. He’s been agreeable to moving back to third base and that’s our plan, to have Chone be our Opening Day third baseman.”
This means nothing, of course.
I actually like Figgins quite a bit, but if the Mariners can somehow get the Athletics to take on all or most of the $26 million left on his contract, they should absolutely jump at the chance.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)