Jan 29, 2011, 2:12 PM EDT
For what it’s worth, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reported yesterday that Figgins has not been asked to waive his limited no-trade clause, which includes the Athletics. Of course, no-trade clauses don’t really mean much these days, so that doesn’t mean a deal won’t happen.
10:24 AM: By the way, in his ESPN Insider column this morning, Buster Olney continued to talk about the possibility that there could be a third team involved in trade negotiations, possibly the Blue Jays.
Asked about the rumor on Friday, Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik indicated that he plans to have Chone Figgins on the ballclub on Opening Day (via Greg Johns and Jane Lee of MLB.com).
“I’m looking forward to Figgins being our starting third baseman,” Zduriencik said. “He’ll be here tomorrow [for the Mariners' FanFest]. He’s been agreeable to moving back to third base and that’s our plan, to have Chone be our Opening Day third baseman.”
This means nothing, of course.
I actually like Figgins quite a bit, but if the Mariners can somehow get the Athletics to take on all or most of the $26 million left on his contract, they should absolutely jump at the chance.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)