Jan 29, 2011, 2:12 PM EDT
For what it’s worth, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reported yesterday that Figgins has not been asked to waive his limited no-trade clause, which includes the Athletics. Of course, no-trade clauses don’t really mean much these days, so that doesn’t mean a deal won’t happen.
10:24 AM: By the way, in his ESPN Insider column this morning, Buster Olney continued to talk about the possibility that there could be a third team involved in trade negotiations, possibly the Blue Jays.
Asked about the rumor on Friday, Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik indicated that he plans to have Chone Figgins on the ballclub on Opening Day (via Greg Johns and Jane Lee of MLB.com).
“I’m looking forward to Figgins being our starting third baseman,” Zduriencik said. “He’ll be here tomorrow [for the Mariners' FanFest]. He’s been agreeable to moving back to third base and that’s our plan, to have Chone be our Opening Day third baseman.”
This means nothing, of course.
I actually like Figgins quite a bit, but if the Mariners can somehow get the Athletics to take on all or most of the $26 million left on his contract, they should absolutely jump at the chance.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 48
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)