Kyle Farnsworth’s contract includes incentives for games finished

Jan 29, 2011, 1:30 PM EST

Kyle Farnsworth

The Rays signed reliever Kyle Farnsworth to a one-year contract with an option for 2012 earlier this month, but Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times has some interesting contract details.

Farnsworth receives a base salary of $2.6 million this season and either a $3.3 million option or $650,000 buyout for 2012. The interesting part is that in both years of the contract, Farnsworth could make an additional $300,000 in incentives based on games finished, so this is an early hint that the Rays signed him with the ninth inning in mind.

At the very least, he’ll be an insurance policy while prospect left-hander Jake McGee gets acclimated to the big leagues. The 24-year-old fireballer was lights out after moving to the bullpen with Triple-A Durham last season, posting a 0.59 ERA and 23/3 K/BB ratio over 15 1/3 innings before making his major league debut last September. The job should be his before long.

1. spudchukar - Jan 29, 2011 at 2:10 PM

DJ, $30 Grand isn’t much of a risk by the Rays. Something tells me this was added to lure Farnsworth, letting him believe he has a shot at closing while not really being all that serious about it. I hope not, I see his real value coming in the next bench-clearing brawl with the Red Sox.

• D.J. Short - Jan 29, 2011 at 2:15 PM

What if I told you it was actually $300,000? Because that’s what it is. My bad on that.

• spudchukar - Jan 29, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Ok, that makes much more sense, and supports your thoughts. I still hope the Rays aren’t serious about him closing, I’ve watched him implode too many times.

2. clydeserra - Jan 29, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Does this happen often? It seems like a bad idea. No matter how much you make, a guy could get resentful if he thinks that some other dude is taking a lexus away from him everytime the other guy comes in to start the 9th.

Or in a extra innings game, he could get money for giving up a meat ball.

3. uyf1950 - Jan 29, 2011 at 2:46 PM

As a Yankee fan, Farnsworth signing with an AL East team is one of the best pieces of news I’ve heard so far this off season. He’s scary and not in a good way for the Rays.

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 30, 2011 at 8:07 AM

As far as I’m concerned, any game Farnsworthless enters is finished.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5317)