Jan 29, 2011, 5:01 PM EST
The Marlins have signed Shawn Hill to a minor league contract, reports Joe Frisaro of MLB.com. The 29-year-old right-hander will receive an invite to major league spring training and will make $600,000 if he makes the team.
The native Canadian was released by the Blue Jays in November after posting a 2.61 ERA and 14/4 K/BB ratio over four starts as a September call-up. He spent most of last season rehabbing from the second Tommy John surgery of his career, posting a 1.61 ERA and 39/8 K/BB ratio over 11 minor league outings.
Hill has averaged 2.79 BB/9 over 239 major league innings and has a career ground ball rate of 48.9 percent, so there’s some upside here if he’s finally healthy. He’ll function as an insurance policy more than anything else.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)