Jan 29, 2011, 8:13 AM EDT
UPDATE: Mike Puma of the New York Post reports that the deal is worth about $8 million.
11:13 PM, Friday: The Mets might be hard up for cash, but they just signed one of their pitchers to a multi-year contract.
According to Andy Martino, the Mets and R.A. Dickey avoided arbitration by agreeing to a two-year contract with a club option for 2013, pending a physical.
The new deal covers his final arbitration season and at least his first year of free agency. Exact terms aren’t yet known, but Dickey requested $4.7 million and was offered $3.35 million from the Mets when arbitration figures were exchanged last Tuesday.
The 36-year-old knuckleballer was a revelation for the Mets last season, posting a 2.84 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 104/42 K/BB ratio over 174 1/3 innings.
I’m expecting something in the range of two years and $8-9 million, maybe a little more in the form of a buyout. If Dickey can prove that last season wasn’t a fluke, the Mets will have done very well here.
UPDATE: Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that including the option and potential incentives, Dickey could make $13 million over the length of the contract.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 29
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 41
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)