Jan 29, 2011, 8:13 AM EST
UPDATE: Mike Puma of the New York Post reports that the deal is worth about $8 million.
11:13 PM, Friday: The Mets might be hard up for cash, but they just signed one of their pitchers to a multi-year contract.
According to Andy Martino, the Mets and R.A. Dickey avoided arbitration by agreeing to a two-year contract with a club option for 2013, pending a physical.
The new deal covers his final arbitration season and at least his first year of free agency. Exact terms aren’t yet known, but Dickey requested $4.7 million and was offered $3.35 million from the Mets when arbitration figures were exchanged last Tuesday.
The 36-year-old knuckleballer was a revelation for the Mets last season, posting a 2.84 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 104/42 K/BB ratio over 174 1/3 innings.
I’m expecting something in the range of two years and $8-9 million, maybe a little more in the form of a buyout. If Dickey can prove that last season wasn’t a fluke, the Mets will have done very well here.
UPDATE: Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that including the option and potential incentives, Dickey could make $13 million over the length of the contract.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 10
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 279
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)