Jan 29, 2011, 8:13 AM EDT
UPDATE: Mike Puma of the New York Post reports that the deal is worth about $8 million.
11:13 PM, Friday: The Mets might be hard up for cash, but they just signed one of their pitchers to a multi-year contract.
According to Andy Martino, the Mets and R.A. Dickey avoided arbitration by agreeing to a two-year contract with a club option for 2013, pending a physical.
The new deal covers his final arbitration season and at least his first year of free agency. Exact terms aren’t yet known, but Dickey requested $4.7 million and was offered $3.35 million from the Mets when arbitration figures were exchanged last Tuesday.
The 36-year-old knuckleballer was a revelation for the Mets last season, posting a 2.84 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 104/42 K/BB ratio over 174 1/3 innings.
I’m expecting something in the range of two years and $8-9 million, maybe a little more in the form of a buyout. If Dickey can prove that last season wasn’t a fluke, the Mets will have done very well here.
UPDATE: Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that including the option and potential incentives, Dickey could make $13 million over the length of the contract.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (96)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)